Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with MRSA?

\We have had experience with MR

SA and I am very sorry for the heart aches going on here, Quickly, be fore I leave, are you aware you should file a claim, get a medical malpractice atty, right away if you get it in the hospital, as you cannot be held liable for the extra costs  because of it, be it even stress. I think it is "Hospital Disease  Negligence." Good luck!

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Almost all patients who go to nursing homes get MRSA somewhere. Usually urinary tract. It does seem to colonize there for some reason. While it can cause sepsis and the general debilatating symptoms your Dad has that is unusual.

It is so very difficult for hospitals to keep this bacteria under control.I could write 1000 pages on what all they have tried to do. At one point my employer swabbed the noses of every employee and planned to give everyone who had a + swab time off with pay and free antibiotoics to try to control it. 88% of the employees came back + for it.They closed down entire units and fogged them with antiseptic. All the employees who were neg had to work in the units with the most vulnerable patients.I was negative and  so was sent to work for a few months in the newborn nursery. That was fun!

I'm sorry this has happened to your dad and I pray for him to recover .

Respected Contributor

My mother had a heart attack in 2003 and ended up with MRSA. She did recover. Lots of people have it and it really does not go away but in people who are very debilitated it makes them very sick. The treatment can also be debilitating. The infection is usually hospital acquired but can be community acquired also. I would guess your dads is hospital acquired. Prayers for your dad and your family. How old is he?

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

My mother had a heart attack in 2003 and ended up with MRSA. She did recover. Lots of people have it and it really does not go away but in people who are very debilitated it makes them very sick. The treatment can also be debilitating. The infection is usually hospital acquired but can be community acquired also. I would guess your dads is hospital acquired. Prayers for your dad and your family. How old is he?

My dad is 86.  As I mentioned a little earlier in the thread, a 2nd culture showed no MRSA so this morning they removed the "wear gown and gloves" instructions for him.

He's very ill- complications from his stroke 3 1/2 weeks ago.  They can't figure out what happened.  Last Friday he was a rehab and my husband and I saw him shortly before noon.  He was mentally ok and physically weak and wasn't progressing as much as the rehab center wanted him to on the rehab  exercises.  By the time my husband and I stopped back by to see him at 3:30, he was mentally altered, vomiting, etc.  I had him transported to the hospital and he was admitted.  He is more mentally "with it" now- knows who we are and is clear on some things, but doesn't understand that he's in a hospital, thinks he's in another state among other strange things.  But on some things, he's crystal clear.  Things right now don't look favorable for recovery but we remain hopeful.  

He's at a great hospital and is receiving excellent care and my sister and I are about the best patient advocates you could ever hope for.  We're there all day every day and on top of everything.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?