Esteemed Contributor

I had pneumonia a couple of months back and I started having some trouble coughing again so my dr sent me for a CT scan. Well they found 6 "spots" on my lungs so they are sending me for a bone scan which apparently "lights up" areas that may have cancer or infection. From what I have read they put a radioactive solution called a tracer into your veins and wait for the solution to be pumped through.

Just wondering if this hurts or is uncomfortable and/or if anyone has had an experience themselves with it. Just a little anxious about this. 

I am not a smoker and never have been so this was a little unexpected.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a bone scan?

I've had several of them...not much to them.  When you have arthritis you periodically get them.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't hurt at all except for the little needle stick you feel when the radioisotope is injected.  I had one for my hip area, my daughter had one for her spine, so our scans were limited in what they were looking at.

Best of luck to you!   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a CT Scan where I had dye injected.  It did not hurt at all.  The only symptom I felt was the warm sensation  between my legs and that went away before I left the table.  In my case I was on the table and the tech then injected the dye just before being scanned. 

Honored Contributor

Theres a bone scan to diagnose osteoporosis which is nothing.  The type with the dye I had years ago and remember having to wait an hour or so for the dye to spread.  I went to a near-by mall and killed some time then took my radio-active self back for the scan.  No there was no pain involved. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Theres a bone scan to diagnose osteoporosis which is nothing.  The type with the dye I had years ago and remember having to wait an hour or so for the dye to spread.  I went to a near-by mall and killed some time then took my radio-active self back for the scan.  No there was no pain involved. 

The common exam for osteoporosis is a bone density scan. 

the OP is going to have a bone scan, performed in the nuclear medicine department of a hospital.   It's quite different , but it seems like many of us have had this, as well as the other type.  Neither one is uncomfortable.   

The term "dye" is kind of misleading, even though it's commonly called that.  It's a radioisotope that shows increased areas of uptake in bones that are fractured or compromised in some way.  

Honored Contributor

I have had this done quite a few times now.  They give you the treatment for the scan with a needle which doesn't hurt at all.  It takes about an hour for the to go through your system.  I get the full body PET scan for my cancer.  And yes, it does light up any area where there is cancer and also lets the doctor know if the cancer area is getting any smaller or larger.  This type if scan does take about an hour.  It doesn't hurt, but you can't move at all.  That is what I don't like about it. 

Frequent Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 I have never had that done but wanted to send some good wishes your way.

Valued Contributor

Yes, a few-with and without tracers-no need to worry-it is not painful-

They will insert an IV (bit of sting) inject a tracer, you may wait awhile for the tracer to distribute or depending what your doctor has ordered, have films taken while you wait and then scanned after a certain amount of wait time- (as stated prior) they'll perform the scan, which can take a lengthy amount of time and you'll be finished-

They will most likely suggest that you drink a lot of water the following 24-48 hours to flush your system-

Best wishes for a healthy outcome-