Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone going through Hypothyroid Issues?

peachesncream:

FYI........I've been taking Synthroid for years & years and always at night for the same reason you are complaning about. I don't want to wait an hour to eat after taking the drug in the am. So, my edocrinologist said there was no problem taking it at night as long as my stomach is empty for 4 hours. Not a problem for me.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I am hypothyroid, after I had my thyroid removed by Radioactive iodine pill.  Thyroid is also hereditary, my mother, sister, cousins, and aunts all had/have thyroid issues, I have been taking  synthroid for over 20 yrs now and will have to for the rest of my life!

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD 

I did have a sonogram before starting the meds.  My primary ordered that first.

I am now taking 50 mg of the generic Levothyroxine ...just 2 days on that dose. 

Prior was 6 weeks of 25 mg.

My gyno ran a full panel of tests when this all started.  My history combining with the min. blood work done before showed the ups and downs which was diagnosed as Hashimoto.

My primary only ran minimal tests last week.  Our verbal discussion got her to increase to the 50mg.  My script for next blood work is the full panel.

I was a bear this morning waiting for that hour to go by b4 I could have my coffee!  LOL

I just read the info that came w/ the script.  It says on empty stomach 30 mins to 1 hour b4 breakfast.  Take w/ full glass of water.

It doesn't tell you not to drink anything else.  It doesn't say not to take other meds which I found out online.  Shouldn't the pharmacist tell ya that?  She warned me about heart palp and othere things to watch for, but never said a word about the other dosage issues!  Shouldn't it be in the info?

Thank goodness you were kind enough to tell me that!

I hear you on going to an Endo....I appreciate your thoughts.  I need to make a decision if I want to switch and just do it.  I have to find out if I need a referral or not.

Super Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@TW   When something new happens to me or DH in our medical world, I am one who immediately educates myself as much as I can to understand the condition.

When I was first diagnosed w/hypo (bordering Hashimoto) I bought a book by a great female author who knows this disease inside and out. I was amazed at all I learned mostly about how much our thyroid RULES pretty much everything that goes on in our body.

Bad thyroid = many other problems that can be and more than likely are affected. Very few people know this. To initially test for a bad thyroid is so simple, a blood test no big deal at all. I firmly believe at least to start this process, our PCP should request a thyroid check during our annual wellness/physical exam. Then they can refer us to a good Endocrinologist to take over.

I know.  Unfortunately this is not tested in so many wellness exams.  When tested it's usually only the THC.  In my case that was normal for many years while my Anti-bodies were sky high.  Let's face it, good health care and caring doctors are rare and also depend on geopgraphic location.  As a matter of fact thru my ordeal I learned to mistrust all physicians.  As for good endocrinologists, they are even rarer. 

Super Contributor

@foggy! wrote:

Yes, yes I am!

I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 1 1/2yrs ago following a CBC. I was put on 75mg Levothyroxine.  I was disapointed the thyroid labs were not as thorough as I'd expected. (No actual thyroid function test) 

My medical  insurance changed last summer, so I was switched to a wonderful doctor I that I saw only once but really liked. Anyway, she up and left her practice (due to some issue with their new & apparently disagreeable CEO) and now I'm waiting on an appointment at the end of this month with an NP who is taking that doctor's patients.

I'm not feeling relief from this drug anymore...my hands, fingers, arms and feet are always really cold and I tire with simple shopping trips now. I'm going to see if this interim NP will send me to an Endo, so hopefully I can get better diagnosed.

Boy I can relate.   I had a good doctor but not for very long.  She also moved to a different State.  This is one of the biggest issues in U.S. health care.  Doctors are not allowed to be doctors anymore.  Insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies dictate our treatement.  That's the problem with health care for profit. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD 

I did have a sonogram before starting the meds.  My primary ordered that first.

I am now taking 50 mg of the generic Levothyroxine ...just 2 days on that dose. 

Prior was 6 weeks of 25 mg.

My gyno ran a full panel of tests when this all started.  My history combining with the min. blood work done before showed the ups and downs which was diagnosed as Hashimoto.

My primary only ran minimal tests last week.  Our verbal discussion got her to increase to the 50mg.  My script for next blood work is the full panel.

I was a bear this morning waiting for that hour to go by b4 I could have my coffee!  LOL

I just read the info that came w/ the script.  It says on empty stomach 30 mins to 1 hour b4 breakfast.  Take w/ full glass of water.

It doesn't tell you not to drink anything else.  It doesn't say not to take other meds which I found out online.  Shouldn't the pharmacist tell ya that?  She warned me about heart palp and othere things to watch for, but never said a word about the other dosage issues!  Shouldn't it be in the info?

Thank goodness you were kind enough to tell me that!

I hear you on going to an Endo....I appreciate your thoughts.  I need to make a decision if I want to switch and just do it.  I have to find out if I need a referral or not.

Warning about heart palpatations - I did see an Endocrinologist.  Put me on 75 mg of Levo right from the start.  I almost had a heart attack.  A friend told me about starting out slow, 25 mg, and gradually increasing because you can have a heart attack when the initial dose is too high.  When I questioned the dosage and heart issues with the Endo he denied that was possible but immediately requested an ECG and stress test.  Another reason I do not trust any doctor anymore.  This quack could have killed me.   Needless to say I did not go back to that jerk. Food for thought, this guy teaches endocrinology at our State's teaching hospitals.  He has also fired patients for getting a second opinion from another doctor.

Super Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD 

If you don't mind me asking....how long after starting med did you begin to feel better?

I understand what the OP means about taking time.

1 year of complaining of symptoms, blood work...not so good, lets wait and run it again and wait again and do it again.....  Same thing! I guess I wasn't pushing hard enough, I knew something was off.

My primary was only running the basic panel of tests.   My gyno was finally the one to run a full panel of thyroid blood work.  I was diagnosed w/ Hashimoto Thyroidism. The full blood work finally showed my antibodies were off the charts.  I had the sonogram and was finally given a script.

I just completed 6 wks of the generic but only 25 mg.  NO relief.  I have been on a very strict diet for a year and have lost nothing but my hair!  All symptoms remain.  Again my primary only ran the basic tests.  She couldn't even tell me what levels my antibodies were since she didn't do the full panel.  Just this past Monday, we increased it to 50mg.

I was so depressed that after 6 weeks, saw no relief.

Good thing they started you out low.  The body has to adjust to the meds.  Increases have to be done gradually.  Although Sythroid does no work for everybody.  There are other options out there.  If it doesn't get better with time other meds might work better.  I had to switch from Synthroid to Armour.  Many Endos and physicians will not prescribe natural Thyroid hormones despite the fact that some people do better with them.  My initial Quack Endo called it pig slop.  That's another problem with Thyroid issues und many doctors; they do not acknowledge the fact that one treatment does not fit all and are unwilling to try other medications.  Some of them are not even familiar with all the choices and do not know that natural Thyroid meds go thru the same strict testing as the chemical versions.  Also, Hashimoto is different than regular Hypo Thyroidism.  You can fluctuate between Hyper and Hypo which makes dosing difficult.  It's also interesting that there are conflicting opinions about natural vs. chemical replacement.  There is even disagreement on when to start treating.  Some say as long as the TSH is normal or under 10 leave it alone.  Others claim with high Anti-bodies treatment should begin immediately.  Who knows if even the doctors can't agree.  I feel your frustration.

Honored Contributor

I've been on medication for hypothyroid for 18 years.  Don't worry.  It's easily treated with medication.  I remember the first year after it was diagnosed.  It took a 3 tries (and blood tests) to get the right dose of medication.  After that first year, i get it checked once a year.  

Frequent Contributor

I do too.. I swear sometimes I hate being in my 40s.. seems like all was great with me until I hit 40.. ugh. makes me dread 50.. and I haven't had anything removed.. They wont do a hysterectomy since I haven't had kids.. I don't want kids.. especially at my age.. I got my furkids that's good enough...
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I just want to add be careful, low thyroid function, and  type 2 diabetes are  inter connected

@cherry, I remember your posting this in the past and I asked my endocrinologist about it. I never knew how  low thyroid is connected with hyperglycemia, also high LDL cholesterol. My doctor found my levels far too high and increased my synthroid and so far there has been a difference in both insulin resistance and my Hashimoto's....so thank you for all the knowledge you post here about diabetes. It is much appreciated.Heart

After going to “the best endo in town” a horrid little troll who only cared about HIS diagnosis and NOT about how I felt, I now go to a terrific, down to earth, intuitive, kind, well trained endo.

Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism cause different problems in different people, and there are numerous symptoms of each, including some symptoms that exist in BOTH hypo- and hyper-.

I do quite well for a old lady, with a combo cocktail of thyroid disease, pre-diabetes, hypertension, and fibro, and GUESS WHAT? The WHOLE MESS can be exacerbated by STRESS!!

So besides feeling lousy for reasons that can be DIAGNOSED, try to resist punching the medical professional who advises you to “STAY CALM”!