Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone going through Hypothyroid Issues?

WOW, RESCTLIFE.

THANKYOU FOR THE MOST INFORMATIVE INFORMATION I NEEDED TO READ AND HEAR!  BLESS YOU, FOR I AM SICK AND TIRED OF FEELING LIKE XSDFCVGDVJKMNH CR.....P. I ONLY HAD THIS HYPOTHYROIDISM FOR OVER A YEAR.  WITH BASIC BLOOD TEST. 

IM A LIFER WEIGHT W MEMBER, WENT TO A MEETING. WENT BACK ON THE PLAN OVER A YEAR AGO AND WAS GAINING WEIGHT. I COMPLAINED TO MY DR. AND TOLD THE LEADER WHO TOLD ME TO COME TO THE NEXT MEETING, HES NUTS, THE LEADER, HES SUPPOSE TO ANSWER ME. WELL I DIDNT GO BACK. 

MONTHS LATER AS THE SCALE KEPT GOING UP. 2 DRS I WAS SEEINGDID BLOOD WORK AND SAW MY THYROID WAS SLOW. AND I HAVE ANOTHER DR ALWAYS GIVING TROUBLE ABOUT MY WEIGHT. 

SO IVE BEEN ON SYNTHROID SINCE BUT NO WEIGHT LOSS NO GAIN. STILL TIRE OUT TOO EASILY. BRAIN FOG AND TOO MANY OTHER THINGS. BUT THEN AGAIN IVE GOT HEALTH ISSUES. 

YOU HAVE ME THINKING 🤔...........I SHOULD SEE AN ENDO.  I NEED TO BE CHECKED BY ONE   SO THANK YOU. 

LOOKING FORWARD TO FEELING BETTER. 

Esteemed Contributor

In April I had my blood drawn and came back I have hypothyroidism. My doc put me on medication immediately with 2 refills. Then I go back and have my blood drawn again to see if it meds are working or needs adjustment. I had no symptoms and don’t feel any different. But I do what the doc says to do.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Regular Contributor

Dear TW,

THANK YOU FOR THAT WONDERFUL INFO!

IM IMPRESSED AT WHAT YOU SAID. IM GETTING MORE INFO WITH YOU LADIES THAN I THOUGHT COULD JUST BY READING HERE ON THE BOARDS. 

BLESSINGS

Super Contributor

Yes, yes I am!

I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 1 1/2yrs ago following a CBC. I was put on 75mg Levothyroxine.  I was disapointed the thyroid labs were not as thorough as I'd expected. (No actual thyroid function test) 

My medical  insurance changed last summer, so I was switched to a wonderful doctor I that I saw only once but really liked. Anyway, she up and left her practice (due to some issue with their new & apparently disagreeable CEO) and now I'm waiting on an appointment at the end of this month with an NP who is taking that doctor's patients.

I'm not feeling relief from this drug anymore...my hands, fingers, arms and feet are always really cold and I tire with simple shopping trips now. I'm going to see if this interim NP will send me to an Endo, so hopefully I can get better diagnosed.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife   I'm still saying you are doing yourself a disservice by not finding and going to an Endocrinologist. A PCP or family med Dr doesn't really know all the ins & outs of thyroidism unless they've had and gone through specific thyroid training & understanding.  Honestly, if I were you, I'd find an Endo Dr now.

May I ask you what your PCP prescribed for you?

It takes more than just a blood test for your thyroid levels and your PCP may not know the all of the proper testing. Again, the ultrasound is necessary as well. Chances are your Endo Dr will only have the ultrasound done at the onset of testing.

Yeah, that morning coffee thing needing to wait an hour (or longer) is a killer when you smell it brewing and your mate is already on the 2nd cup before you've had your first!!!  It's a necessary evil!!!  We get up at 530A because DH still works while I'm retired. If I wake up around 4ish or so I will get up, pee, then take my med, go back to bed.

At 530A I'm ready for coffee just like he is. And yes I do wait at least 2 hrs prior to doing any other meds/supplements/vitamin and eating as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TW   When something new happens to me or DH in our medical world, I am one who immediately educates myself as much as I can to understand the condition.

When I was first diagnosed w/hypo (bordering Hashimoto) I bought a book by a great female author who knows this disease inside and out. I was amazed at all I learned mostly about how much our thyroid RULES pretty much everything that goes on in our body.

Bad thyroid = many other problems that can be and more than likely are affected. Very few people know this. To initially test for a bad thyroid is so simple, a blood test no big deal at all. I firmly believe at least to start this process, our PCP should request a thyroid check during our annual wellness/physical exam. Then they can refer us to a good Endocrinologist to take over.

Honored Contributor

@roster   I wouldn't say it's abnormal for hair growth and nail growth to get better (much improved) after thyroid meds level out and you're on a more stable state.

Before I was dianosed I used Wen as my hair cleanser. I started losing hair, a lot came out when I showered. I thought it was Wen so I stopped using it. That's about the same time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

I certainly did find a big difference after we figured to best med & doseage for me in hair & nail growth. I also take daily Andrew Lessman's collagen with peptides powder in 4oz organic juice which I'm convinced has made a huge difference.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew   I just hope your Dr is an Endocrinolgist. This is the Dr you need to have on your side. Most PCPs do not know all the ins & outs of this disease.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've been treated for this for over 30 years.  I take synthroid daily, no problems.

Respected Contributor

I have mild hypothyroidism. My biggest headache was waiting an hour in the morning after taking Levothyroxine to eat or drink anything but water.

Breakfast is my favorite meal, and DH and I enjoy it together. Having a hungry DH waiting an extra hour along with me was frustrating - and smelling coffee without being able to drink it. 

My doctor suggested I take the medicine at night, right before going to bed. This works fine as long as the stomach is empty (no food for 3 hours before taking medicine). 

There is a study (you can Google it) showing that taking Levothyoxine consistently at night works better than taking it in the a.m. It has worked for me.