Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Anyone going through Hypothyroid Issues?

My recent testing and symptoms  showed this and now they are re-testing me and taking so much timeSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone going through Hypothyroid Issues?

I have never had any extra amount of time  taken for test results, because ,of thyroid testing

Honored Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

My recent testing and symptoms  showed this and now they are re-testing me and taking so much timeSmiley Sad

The last time I had a blood test (last month) my doctor mentioned that my thyroid was sluggish.  He wants to do another blood test.

I do have a hard time losing weight plus I'm tired a lot but don't realy have any other symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Respected Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

Just log into your providers health account and check the results yourself.  All places/doctors/hospitals have this...just sign up for the portal and look at all your lab work.  Also lab work only takes a 24hrs for something as basic as thyroid labs.  Only specialty tests can take extra time.

Also you can call your doctors office for results.....but please still look yourself....you want to know about your labs and seeing them and understanding them is best.

Honored Contributor

I just want to add be careful, low thyroid function, and  type 2 diabetes are  inter connected

Esteemed Contributor

Been diagnosed for 30 years now.  I do have regular labs; depending on results and history sometimes the stretches between are longer than others.

My medication has been adjusted over the years, as well.

It's just a fact of my life.  Good thing there is a remedy.  I feel pretty darn good.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 @buyornot   As with me about 4-5 yrs ago when I was diagnosed w/hypo, I believe you're both next in line for an ultrasound. After testing is complete and your Dr starts you on Synthoid more than likely, you'll be amazed at how better you'll begin to feel, excessive wght will drop off too.

It's amazing how your thyroid 'rules' many other porcesses in your body. If you've not already you may choose to read up on your thyroid.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD 

If you don't mind me asking....how long after starting med did you begin to feel better?

I understand what the OP means about taking time.

1 year of complaining of symptoms, blood work...not so good, lets wait and run it again and wait again and do it again.....  Same thing! I guess I wasn't pushing hard enough, I knew something was off.

My primary was only running the basic panel of tests.   My gyno was finally the one to run a full panel of thyroid blood work.  I was diagnosed w/ Hashimoto Thyroidism. The full blood work finally showed my antibodies were off the charts.  I had the sonogram and was finally given a script.

I just completed 6 wks of the generic but only 25 mg.  NO relief.  I have been on a very strict diet for a year and have lost nothing but my hair!  All symptoms remain.  Again my primary only ran the basic tests.  She couldn't even tell me what levels my antibodies were since she didn't do the full panel.  Just this past Monday, we increased it to 50mg.

I was so depressed that after 6 weeks, saw no relief.

Super Contributor

I am going through weird thyroid issues. I was taking 2 hour naps when I got home from work, so my dr ran a bunch of tests. TSH (basic thryoid) was off the chart low) which would indicate hyperthyroid. So they ran the next test (T3 and T4) which is actual thyroid hormone, and that was normal. This indicates something called subclinical hyperthyroid, which can cause, wait for it, dementia and afibrilation. Waiting now for my appointment with the endocrinologist in a week. Hope there is something to do for it. Expecting more blood tests. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I just want to add be careful, low thyroid function, and  type 2 diabetes are  inter connected

@cherry, I remember your posting this in the past and I asked my endocrinologist about it. I never knew how  low thyroid is connected with hyperglycemia, also high LDL cholesterol. My doctor found my levels far too high and increased my synthroid and so far there has been a difference in both insulin resistance and my Hashimoto's....so thank you for all the knowledge you post here about diabetes. It is much appreciated.Heart