Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else have trouble understanding Prince Harry?

Yes, I do have a hard time understanding most of the Royal Family.  British accents are not heard often here in my area of southern WV.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They Princes talk through their nose and teeth, exactly like their dad Prince Charles.  I think it is called upper class Posh.  Lol. No kidding.  So does Prince Phillip. I don't think Harry does as much as his dad though I think it is an upper class male thing in some stations in England.  I watch British Tv more than american tv.  I usually have no problem, unless they are East Enders or from Liverpool. But the series I watch have actors who are taught to speak plainly and articulate.  They will have guest actors on in roles of elite, they talk through their nose and teeth, sometimes barely moving their mouth when speaking.  I can never understand Prince Charles.  Someone told me it was a Cambridge/ Eaton thing....but I don't think so.  Harry and William were raised quite a bit by Charles. Maybe it is a familial thing.  in speaking it is said Kate is more traditional speak than William.  in England accent is everything.  They can pin point where you were born within a block by your accent.

Also, the Queen has changed her accent and diction quite a bit over the years.  Maybe lessons and training.?  She had the highly posh accent, and was also quite shrill in speaking.  In the old boarding schools diction, elocution was a huge thing. They had classes in it, and were grilled and grilled.  

Honored Contributor

No issue with accents.

Harry mumbles a bit, and often forgets to speak into the hand mike.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

There are many types of British accents. Some are more difficult to understand than others. I think Harry speaks very softly and that's why we may not always understand him. I used to work with a British woman and I couldn't understand many things she said.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem understanding them 😃

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that the "Posh" accent can be difficult to comprehend but some regional or American Posh is difficult as well (listen to old recordings of Jack, Jackie, Robert or Ted Kennedy).

Honored Contributor

No but they are soft spoken. 

Honored Contributor

Harry does not enunciate very clearly, so with his accent, that is probably why he is hard to understand. I have to listen carefully or I miss some of what he says.
Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago while still living in New York I worked for a company run and owned by the British.  It was in Farmingdale, Nassau County, in case any of you are familiar with the territory.  All of the engineers were from England and I loved listening to them talk and had no trouble understanding them.  I believe the reason being is that they were from a part of England that spoke differently just as we do here in America.  They were the nicest, fun loving people one could ever hope to be associated with.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I’ve always thought Prince Charles sounded like he mumbled.