Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else have trouble understanding Prince Harry?

I think the little I've seen of Harry speak, he sort of mumbled and had his head down while talking.  Maybe he's shy?

I do have trouble with accents--especially if they speak very quickly.  We started to watch a show on Netflix this weekend (Flacked I think it was called) and the accent was too much we decided it wasn't worth watching.  If the show was good enough I guess we'd do CC.  Same thing when  Daphne has lots of speaking scenes on Frasier--click it off.

Trusted Contributor

I have difficulties too trying to understand.  Traveling around in London couldn't understand the announcements on the underground or over the phone when trying to make reservations.  The Help Desk for our IT Department is split with the US and UK offices - I need a help desk for the help desk if the Brits pick up.  We watch all of the British PBS programs with closed captioning turned on.  If we don't - we spend most of the time asking each other what was said and missing even more of the program.

Honored Contributor

I struggle listening to strong regional accents.  When I worked retail sales...I would have to ask someone to help me understand what the customer was saying when they spoke with a strong accent.  Maybe it is because I grew up as a child and young adult  in an area with  very little to no diversity.? Anyway,

I just can not stand to listen to the BBC channel on TV.  I just do not understand half of what they say.

Respected Contributor

If I am watching British tv show I understand fine but if I watch an interview with Harry,William or Charles I do have trouble sometimes.🤓

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no problem understanding Prince Harry or most people with any other accents.  Occasionally, people with accents from India will cause me to pause and ask them to repeat and also some people with thick accents from Maine, of all places, especially the older men from the local islands who catch and sell lobster by the side of the roads.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I love the British accent, I have no trouble understanding them.  I think it sounds so cultured, much better than the way Americans talk with their slang and bad English!

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

If I am watching British tv show I understand fine but if I watch an interview with Harry,William or Charles I do have trouble sometimes.🤓

@Pqfan   Well that's OK; just ask Harry to text you later when he said!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

My father always said he thought English people sound like they talk with marbles in their mouths!  (sorry @dulwich  )

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://youtu.be/UZBSQ41jDxQ  I like this guy on YouTube  that teaches how to do a convincing British accent.🥰 So “upper crusty”🤣

Respected Contributor

I highly recommend watching the Netflix, maybe Amazon(?) series, "The Windsors"!  It's a spoof on the royals and quite amusing, especially the Camilla character.  I am not a fan of the royals, other than Queen Elizabeth, and I don't think she's portrayed in the series.   Everyone else is fair game!