Frequent Contributor

Anyone else have trouble understanding Prince Harry?

Whenever Prince Harry or Prince William are speaking on TV I have trouble understanding their words because of their accent.  I understand the Queen, Prince Charles, Diana, etc quite well.  But the two younger princes give me a problem.  

I don't know if it is generational or a regional accent type of thing.  There was one news item this morning with Mehgan and Harry the new baby Archie where there were words subtitled on the bottom of the screen.  It made me wonder if there are any others that could have difficulty in understanding what he was saying.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else have trouble understanding Prince Harry?

@rolen  I don't have any problem understanding them. But then, on another forum here, people have often complained about not being able to understand a couple of the actors on a certain TV show (both of whom are Americans with no particular accent)--and I have no problem understanding them, either!

Honored Contributor

@rolen @I think they both speak softly and that might be why.

Respected Contributor

I always have trouble understanding British accents.  I always turn on my closed captioning when I'm watching PBS. 

Honored Contributor

I have no problems understanding them at all.  To me, while they sound British upper class, they don't have strong accents at all.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, not at all.

Honored Contributor

I'm 71 and have been around many Brits from different parts of the UK and have no problem understanding them.

Respected Contributor

I do too.  I think it's because they speak soft I'm not sure but I can't make out some of their words.  I can understand the Queen and other Brits. 

I also have a problem with shows like Downton Abby and Midwives.  I can barely make out what they say. 

Honored Contributor

I can never understand the British. I've heard of some great tv series but once I hear the accent I'm out. I can't watch.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem understanding them.  I think they do speak softly sometimes.