Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone else getting AOL Gold?

@bonnielu wrote:

I have AOL --- old fashioned me.  I hate to change over... I do have Comcast.  If there is going to be a problem I will just slowly tell the world that I am using my Comcast account.  I am a creature of habit and prefer just to keep it.  Even Hubby uses his Comcast and has abandoned his Aol account.

Just curious.... what is the best way to just switch over.... Tell everyone, oh gosh, that I am using Comcast only.  What a task!

It's funny what people imagine makes them cool, like not having an aol email address. lol. It's no different from any other free email anyone has.

Frequent Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Had no idea that AOL was still around.  It was awful when it first started.  Sounds like nothing has changed.

I've used it since about 1995 with no problems. Not sure what you found awful about it. Now I just use the free web AOL email, which works exactly like any email anyone else has.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I use AOL for anymore is my e-mail so won't be paying for it. I will just have to get used to going to the website instead of through the desktop version.

I do have a few favorite places stored that I will just have to switch over to my favorite folders on Chrome.

Respected Contributor

Had no idea AOL was still around.

Honored Contributor

I thought AOL died and was buried years and years ago.  I haven't heard anyone even mention AOL in years.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Aol.com is a website just like any other.  Just enter the address into your browser and log into your email account from there, the same as you'd do for QVC or any other site.

I've never used the Aol browser.  My DH did and he hates the fact that he now has to access his email this "new" way; personally, I hated the fact that he used the Aol browser.  Caused problems more than once that I had to fix.

Since we had no intention of paying for it, it's gone!  However, most of our business emails come into Aol so we just log into the website for free.

(ETA:  There's nothing wrong with anyone preferring to use Aol.  It was one of the first of its kind and very successful.  Just because it's "old", doesn't make it bad.)

Well sure enought, I do have it...lol   I was talking to myself and hubby overheard and said YOU DO have Aol...it's that Netscape email address you use for junk.   I've had it since my first desk top eons ago, I check it and clear it about once a month and I never realized it says AOL right on it...lol

Occasional Contributor

I too have had AOL ever since I have been online.  I don't like change and was so used to navigating on the site that I refused to change.  After the trouble we have had with AOL Gold. my son convinced me to try something else.  We cancelled AOL Gold and now have Goodle Chrome.  It did not take me long to get used to.  It is a little different layout but it is so much better than the Gold.  You can still have and AOL email account.  Just go to mail.aol.com.  You can have all your current email and favorites transfered to chrome before you drop AOL. Can still get the AOL News page for free too. If you still have the old free AOL then keep it if you want but if you ever get a notice that it is being discontinued and you have to sign up with AOL Gold and pay for it I advise you not to do it.  

Occasional Contributor

While I don't pay for AOL I still have my AOL email and used their browser because it was what I was used to and don't particularly like change.  I also kept getting emails about AOL Gold and one day was unable to sign on.  I tried downloading the Gold version and had problems with the download and had to call them.  Very long story short, once I finally got it to download I it was garbage and my computer kept freezing up so I cancelled it.  Now I'm using Google Chrome and while it's taking some getting used to, at least my computer isn't freezing up on me.  And apparently they aren't kicking all AOL users off their older versions so I don't know what's up with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

When verizon stopped supporting email, users had a choice to move to aol with the same verizon address or do something else far more difficult...when you think about all the places you'd have to change your email address.

When I log in to get email, I get some news and some ads.  Was offered a chance to get rid of the ads for about $5 a month.  No thanks.  I can ignore a lot to save $5.  And who knows...I might want to get some of that stuff that's advertised.  Woman LOL

Keepin' it real.