Honored Contributor

Anyone doing the Konmari method of decluttering & tidying?

I've been working on decluttering and organizing our house.  Not that we've ever been overly cluttery or disorganized, but since I haven't been working and have alot of time on my hands I've kind of turned this into one of my hobbies- LOL.

Anyway, I'm deep into my project- just about done, but a few months ago read the book on the Konmari method of decluttering & tidying.  The book was great, in my opinion, and I incorporated several of the author's ideas into what I was already doing.  

I just wondered if anyone else has read Marie Kondo's book and is following her method?  If you are, we could share some stories and pictures of some of our "finished" areas.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone doing the Konmari method of decluttering & tidying?

I've never heard of that meathod, gidget......can you give it to me in a nutshell? Is it the "keep/donate/toss idea?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Haven't heard of it but am open to suggestions. Off to google it!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Kondo's philosophy emphasizes the mental attachment we have to our possessions and her approach is quite simple: declutter first, then store. To declutter a space, she asks her clients to go through every item in their possession and question whether those items "spark joy." If a certain object fails to do so, chuck it.

Once clients have completed decluttering their homes, Kondo's "KonMari" method requires that clients find a specific place for EVERYTHING that's left.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chanel-parks/konmari-decluttering-method_b_6533574.html

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

No I have not read the book but I will. I always worry about clutter. If I buy something then I have to get rid of something. If I find I am not doing a good job of de cluttering I watch the show Hoarders. That gets me motivated quick. I love pretty things and my house is Victorian style. I am always changing things so I must trade off when I bring in something. I once asked my son is the house filled up. He said that you are surrounding yourself with things you love and it is not junk. Wow I felt better and went out and bought more things I love. LOL
Super Contributor

Thanks for the "nutshell" KonaKat. This is inspiring me to get rid of shoes I haven't worn in years. Something about tossing or donating shoes just goes against my religion. But I really need the space. I love the idea of only keeping things that bring you joy. Does that apply to husbands too?

(just kidding! )

Trusted Contributor

I love that idea of keeping what you enjoy. It makes it easier to make decisions on what to do away with. Interesting. Have to get the book.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read her book, even applied a couple of things. I'm pretty organized though. Had a teacher once complain to my mom that everytime she looked my way, I had my head in the desk, top of the desk open, and I was in there straightening it up. (Elementary, you see). I also as a kid when I was home sick, used to put my viewmasters in order. See,you have the gene or you don't. ROFLOL.

Super Contributor

The book is called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up .  You can get it on Amazon.  I highly recommend it.  Its a very empowering book.

Honored Contributor

My library had it.