Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Getting This Type of Spam Call--Cannot Block!

I think it's a crime what these telemarkerters are doing, I have received numerous phone calls that show a person's name and it's a local number.  When I answer it's a recorded telemarketing sale.  I read online that these companies hyjack individuals phone numbers to make these calls and use them a few times and then move on to another personsnumber.   I never answer when I see it's an out of state or suspicious looking number, but we have a horse carriage business and sometimes I just have to answer to make sure it's not a customer.

Honored Contributor

@dexwrote:

I don’t answer any of the calls I don’t recognize.If it is important  they will leave a message.

@dex   @Yardlie

Right now, the best approach is to just screen your calls. 

Part of the problem is that many of these spam calls come from either other countries or over the internet.   The Do Not Call doesn't apply to them.

Honored Contributor

@Thrivewrote:

I know exactly how you feel.  I haven't received calls as early as 8:30 am and as late as 8:45 pm. They are spoofing calls , unassigned calls, and sometimes the same caller using different telephone numbers. It seems that something should be done about this harassment!  It makes you almost want to answer the phone and give them a piece of your mind!

@Thrive: Once in a while, when l'm in a particularly fed-up mood, if the robocall begins to leave a message, l'll pick,up the call and "press 1 to speak to a representative." The moment l get a person on the line, l blow a whistle into his ear, as loudly as l can, and then disconnect the call. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@dexwrote:

I don’t answer any of the calls I don’t recognize.If it is important  they will leave a message.

@dex   @Yardlie

Right now, the best approach is to just screen your calls. 

Part of the problem is that many of these spam calls come from either other countries or over the internet.   The Do Not Call doesn't apply to them.

@Tinkrbl44 ... That's right...I didn't think about that. It keeps getting more complicated. The problem is, they just keep calling back even if they are U.S. based if you are screening calls and the answering machine eventually picks up. I've instructed everyone in the family not to answer calls unless they recognize the name and number.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie@handygal2@Tinkrbl44@hayseed00@Thrive  Great question. The is so frustrating, but the FCC and FTC are working diligently to stop these annoying calls. Without our help, they don't know the latest techniques being used. I hope you will contact them with this disturbing dropped number. They need to know!

Does your phone company offer Call Blocking? If so, you may be able to block the call by simply hitting * 6 0 when the caller has hung up. (Anyway *60 is the program for our phone company to block from any phone in the system. It may be a national feature if you are also paying for Caller ID, etc.)

Also, you might go on-line and read about the FTC recent Bills and legal initiates regarding this issue. There IS hope. I've also signed up to receive their updated emails, which a very interesting and never seem to make the news!

The FCC and FTC recently helped me with a spammer (who wanted money). Of course I refused, but turned him in to our Police Dept. (who didn't do much). The calls continued. I contacted the phone company, who took it seriously, gave me some ideas; and suggested the FCC and FTC. I called both of them. It took several weeks of annoying phone calls, which I ignored (or hung up immediately). He was calling from many differing "CELL" numbers in various states or "UNKNOWN" on my Caller ID. He had a foreign accent with excellent English and an unnerving confidence. His calls followed my mom's death. Did he read her obituary? I don't know.

But the gentlemen I spoke with at the FCC and FTC told me this was, indeed, a known spammer and "considered dangerous." One of the gentlemen gave me great suggestions for avoiding the caller. I was even told to turn OFF the Voice Mail in the vent the caller wanted to tape me for "voice recognition." I did everything he told me to do! It worked. NO MORE CALLS from any unwanted numbers now.

I wish you blessings and renewed sanity from whomever is bothering you, too.    

BTW: I really DO turn all robo calls into the DO NOT CALL number! If we, as consumers, do not continue to help the FCC and FTC how can they do a competent job of helping us? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

If you have to enter the number to block it, it might work if you use zeroes as the first 2 digits of the area code. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, since I dropped my landline phone, many, many years ago, I just don't get ANY spam calls. None. I just don't understand those that still use a landline phone and don't like all the spam calls they get. There is a solution.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Yardlie  Does your Nomorobo block the number after one ring, like it does with the other robo calls?  I have that installed on my AT&T U-Verse landline, and it keeps me from even looking at my phone if it stops after only one ring.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Since I started answering the calls like a business and asking how I can rout their call, It went from maybe 10-15 calls a week to only about 2 a month.  It works since robo callers and other types of calls are obligated to remove business numbers from their call lists.   Many actually have responded with sorry we'll remove this number from or call lists. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2wrote:

Wow, since I dropped my landline phone, many, many years ago, I just don't get ANY spam calls. None. I just don't understand those that still use a landline phone and don't like all the spam calls they get. There is a solution.

I've never had a cell phone.  No need for one.  I have a landline w/a built-in answering machine & I "rarely" get spam calls.   Why?  I don't answer the phone unless the person leaves a message.  No message, no one called.

As for the phone "ringing," I keep mine turned OFF!  I have no need for it since I have an answering machine which I can hear throughout my house.

My message:  "All calls are screened.  Leave a message if you want a returned call."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif