Trusted Contributor

Re: Any retirement suggestions

On 11/6/2014 gazelle77 said: I find it interesting people always say....Keep Busy when you retire....I say WHY? I retired to not stay busy. I enjoy doing nothing, or going on a walk....I waited on customers for 24 years....so love No PEOPLE! To each his own.

Did you post fairly frequently in the Beauty Forum under a different name?

You sound a lot like a poster that lived in Washington and complained about her customers.

Super Contributor

On 11/6/2014 abbeythe8th said:
On 11/6/2014 gazelle77 said: I find it interesting people always say....Keep Busy when you retire....I say WHY? I retired to not stay busy. I enjoy doing nothing, or going on a walk....I waited on customers for 24 years....so love No PEOPLE! To each his own.

You sound a lot like a poster that lived in Washington and complained about her customers.

You seem to keep such good track of everyone who posts here Abby.... -- if the OP was OLD as you put it and over weight in one thread ...
So are YOU wearing your boody shorts and short tops today??? Post a picture so we can see you.... we will keep track of YOU and see how YOU like being stalked....

Trusted Contributor

On 11/7/2014 gazelle77 said:

You seem to keep such good track of everyone who posts here Abby.... -- if the OP was OLD as you put it and over weight in one thread ...
So are YOU wearing your boody shorts and short tops today??? Post a picture so we can see you.... we will keep track of YOU and see how YOU like being stalked....

This is what I posted,

"She's been here a long time and as I recall she is an elderly woman who struggles with her weight."

I posted with her for many years about many topics, some of which were diets and retirement.

It's chilly here today so no, I am not wearing my booty shorts and crop top.Wink

I see posters calling you out about your constant negativity. A few have mentioned your previous name. If you want to keep track of me, be my guest. I have nothing to hide.

Super Contributor

On 11/7/2014 abbeythe8th said:
On 11/7/2014 gazelle77 said:

This is what I posted,

"She's been here a long time and as I recall she is an elderly woman who struggles with her weight."

I posted with her for many years about many topics, some of which were diets and retirement.

It's chilly here today so no, I am not wearing my booty shorts and crop top.Wink

I see posters calling you out about your constant negativity. A few have mentioned your previous name. If you want to keep track of me, be my guest. I have nothing to hide.

No, it is obvious plain as day who you are and what you do. See you disking someone else on the next thread....and the next.
Honored Contributor

Ladies, please take this out in the alley. Some of us were discussing "RETIREMENT". Retirees who don't bicker enjoy longer, happier retirements.
Esteemed Contributor

I would have been more patient with myself when I first retired. I qualified to take an early retirement 2 years ago from higher education - my husband is a year older and his retirement would be seven years beyond my retirement. He wanted me to be happy so I was fortunate, indeed. I volunteered. That was okay. I eventually switched around organizations and found my niche. I had time to reunite with friends and family who had retired earlier or who didn't work. Oy. Too many depressing lunches and outings full of negative gab. I let some of those relationships go and kept the active, fun people. Created a monthly dinner group with friends who still work so I could keep in touch. And they're my favorite people. I have more time, so I send reminder emails, take care of reservations, etc. That's been wonderful. Took a couple of friends' trips. Nice. More time for exercise and relaxation and keeping the house clean. Love it! After 6 months, I began working part time at a college as a receptionist. Love it. Saving money. The best of both worlds. Husband will be able to retire a year earlier now. It's trial and error at first. Be patient. Keep your focus on what you really want and it will all fall together.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I recently retired, sooner than I had anticipated. It's an adjustment after working most of my life. I'm still trying to find my niche. Each person's experience will be different. There are pros and cons to retirement, just like there are for working. My husband and I both miss the camaraderie of the office, and sense of purpose the job provided. Neither of us miss the stress and long hours.

I came across this article on Dr. Mercola's website that you might want to look at. Just in case you don't want to click on the link, the article is entitled, "Retirement Could Be Bad For Your Health". It lists certain pitfalls to avoid. There's a lot of information on the web about the emotional side of retirement.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/30/retirement.aspx

Super Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Bungo said:

Card Table Bit: He has all our investment info,etc. He spends about 1 hour a day going over this. It's kinda like an office for retirement.

Not too worried about what he or we will do. He is very busy now and likes to do things at home. In 2001 when we put in our addition and he did all the plumbing, electrical, and heating.

We also just had insulation blown in our garage ceiling. The family room sits over the garage and the insulation makes that room so much warmer.

Bungo, I don't know if you have any idea just how fortunate you are with the things your Hubby is able to do around the house. Seriously. We are both retired, live in our own home and have always had to hire people to do EVERYTHING that I cannot figure out how to do. He works out, rides his bike, and watches sports. There are a few small things he has tried to do, but then he ends up asking the neighbor to help him, and I hate taking advantage like that ALL of the time. KWIM? I have learned to do a lot of things myself by going on YouTube, but between grocery shopping, cooking, and bill paying, filing, etc., etc., I keep more than busy around the house. We hire people to take care of the outside.

Again, I hope you know how very fortunate you are!!!

In Sunny AZ