Frequent Contributor

Any job hunters out there who have just given up?

I know this is a very broad question, but I'm wondering if anyone else here has given up on job hunting and just decided to "retire" earlier than planned.

I'm only 57, so I expected to work another 10 years or so. I got laid off from my hospital employer after 20 years from a medical transcription (MT) job when they closed our department. The industry has changed so dramatically, and, around here, the MT jobs are either gone or going away fast. After so many years, though, it's the only arena in which I'm experienced.

I've tried applying for jobs which I know I could do but haven't done before, and I'm always turned down over an applicant who has actually DONE that type of work. Even though I'm presentable, well spoken, very personable, and always seem to have good interviews, I can totally understand an employer hiring someone else in these situations. I just got turned down yesterday on yet another job for this reason--they hired someone who had actual experience in that field. They had advertised the job as "no experience necessary--will train" and were very nice people, but I don't blame them: there are soooo many available job applicants, why wouldn't they hire someone who they DON'T have to train?

I tried a different job after my lay-off but was very unhappy there and quit, so I don't get unemployment. I'm fortunate enough that my DH works, and we can get by on his salary alone...just VERY (extremely) frugrally. We can survive, though it's not much fun. But I keep asking myself if that's better than going through all the job-hunting stress and living with this on-edge, "what am I going to do now???" feeling. I'm considering taking a complete break from job-hunting until the job market is a whole lot better. I know that could mean not ever being able to find a job again, but I'm feeling a little bit that way now, anyway! I remember the days when employers couldn't FIND enough people to fill jobs they needed filled (and you could therefore get hired without specific experience--they would train), but I worry that those days might never come again in my lifetime.

I guess I'm currently very discouraged, and maybe misery just loves company! If you're finding yourself in my shoes, I'd like to know what you're doing. If I was desperate, I might be able to get hired as a cashier or retail clerk, but I tried a retail job and realized that working a lot of evenings and weekends leaves me very unhappy at this point in my life...not enough time to spend with DH and friends. I'd rather have to be really frugal!

Thanks for "listening."