Honored Contributor

Re: Any flight attendants here?

Now they are supposedly training. miniature horses as service animals,  not emotional support.  I hear the airlines have put a stop to transporting exotic emotional support animals.

I have owned horses and have been around them a lot.  Somebody would have to be out of their mind to trust a horses to safely navigate city traffic or sidewalk hazards if they were blind.  Horses are not the brightest of animals and they panic easily.

What do you do with a panicked horses during an in-flight emergency or landing?  What do you do if oxygen is needed?  How do you fasten his little seat belt during very rough weather?  What happens if he can't keep his balance and falls on people?  Kicks or thrashes around?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Miniature horses have been used as service animals for quite some time. Generally used when the disabled person is allergic to dogs.

Honored Contributor

Rather sit next to a horse, dog, cat, bird, than some people who have been next to me.

I'd be in Heaven if the whole plane was filled with animals.  

Honored Contributor

@Tyak 

Perhaps @MarthaStewardess  will check in.

Honored Contributor

I really don’t want to fly with Mr. Ed.  Is it too much to ask.....

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

they dont even let HUMANS block or hang out in the aisles.....it is a hazard they say.

how are they going to let a miniature horse just stand in an aisle?

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/OKl3D6N5RxqHeLT5pOoBoA--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9MTI4MDtoPTk2MA--/https://media.zenfs.com/en-US/theblast_73/e7cd374b51ab7e5dc5cdcd24d3cf83d1

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I feel sorry for the horse put on the plane.  I'm sure he was scared at take off and landing and had trouble keeping his balance.  Lucky there was not extreme turbulance - how would he keep on his feet.  The woman who would put this animal in this situation (in addition to the other passengers)needs more than an emotional support animal IMO.  If she does feel the need for emotional support from an animal, surely a certified, trained dog would be a more convenient help to her.  A dog can actually provide emotional support by sensing your distress,  responding to it and can convey empathy, but I do not think a horse can.

I feel for her on the loss of her son, but I truly do not believe this horse is providing much in the way of emotional support.  She may love it, but it needs to remain a pet only.   As she is so prone to panic and anxiety because of her loss, counseling and medication would be of more benefit in helplng her deal with her loss.   If an animal is required, a dog is a much better option,

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Rather sit next to a horse, dog, cat, bird, than some people who have been next to me.

I'd be in Heaven if the whole plane was filled with animals.  

As crazy as things are going, it's only a matter of time and it'll be like a zoo at 37,000 feet.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Now they are supposedly training. miniature horses as service animals,  not emotional support.  I hear the airlines have put a stop to transporting exotic emotional support animals.

I have owned horses and have been around them a lot.  Somebody would have to be out of their mind to trust a horses to safely navigate city traffic or sidewalk hazards if they were blind.  Horses are not the brightest of animals and they panic easily.

What do you do with a panicked horses during an in-flight emergency or landing?  What do you do if oxygen is needed?  How do you fasten his little seat belt during very rough weather?  What happens if he can't keep his balance and falls on people?  Kicks or thrashes around?

TPTB haven't thought that far ahead, only thing they know is animals come first.

Honored Contributor

Many animals have died being shipped in a crate with cargo. Deadly heat or freezing cold seemed to have been the cause of death. Can’t think of anything more cruel than sticking any animal in a crate and putting it on the cargo are of the plane.