Honored Contributor

Any bird watchers out there?

We need to get a decent pair of binoculars.  If you do this, what do you use?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any bird watchers out there?

Because we live in the woods,we see many birds. The other day I saw an indigo bunting.

We also feed many birds and the feeders are right outside our doors and windows.

In the summer the hummingbirds are here and we feed them all summer long. I also have a log where I write things and birds we see. I enjoy this very much.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Super Contributor

I am lucky I live in a birding area.  There are several bird observatories and meeting places of daily birders.  I went and asked people and bought a pair at the Bird Observatory.  These people are very helpful, especially about the local area.

It depends on where you are looking.  Some bird observers have very good binoculars and can see down the bay or ocean when flocks come flying by.  Others go walking on paths or just look outback.  Size and weight of the binoculars matter as well as lens.  

I have seen over 80 different kinds of birds, just in my state.  I was in SC when I finally saw a blue bird and in NC a Scarlet Tanger.  My grandmother and father were big backyard birders.  My eight year old granddaughter calls me if she sees a cardinal!🦅🦆🦢🦉🦤🐦‍⬛

Frequent Contributor

Love to see them at our feeders. Blue Jays and Cardinals year round, painted buntings in winter. Saw an Indifgo Bunting a coupletimes too. 

Honored Contributor

I use a pair of Nikon that we got many years ago that suit my needs.

I suggest trying a birding store, like Wild Birds Unlimited, if you have any nearby.  Or a hunting store.  Both would have knowledgeable employees that could offer suggestions for how you plan to use the binoculars.

Trusted Contributor

I love the birds!  Often I convince myself to get out for a walk by the promise of seeing and hearing birds.

Indigo bunting is a great spotting!  Like flying jewels!  They're usually hidden deep in the woods so consider yourself lucky.

Sorry, I have no suggestions on binoculars.  Just loving on the birbs.

Trusted Contributor

Pentax 10x50 or 10x42 are decent birding binoculars, Nikon is another good brand.  The 10x50's have a wider field of view and let in more light but are heavier and bulkier than the 10x42's.  Small compact binoculars are 10x25.  The desired magnification and field of view depends on whether you're looking at birds at a bird feeder out of your kitchen window or looking at birds far away in various light conditions.