Honored Contributor

Any Subaru Forester Owners Here?

[ Edited ]

We've been driving a Honda CRV for several years. DH and I have been discussing on and off about bigger ticket items that need to be addressed before he retires - washer & dryer, garage door, maybe carpet, interior painting, phones, and a car.  We're likely going to go get a car tomorrow.  Before we do, I'm looking for experienced Subie Forester owners who can give me any helpful information.  We're thinking of staying midrange with the Limited package, but certainly not opposed to the Touring package, if the price is right. Given the life of Subarus, this could be the last car we purchase brand new.

Super Contributor

Re: Any Subaru Forester Owners Here?

I do not own a Forester but an Outback Limited. It is 5 years old, not a bit of problem, comfortable ride and excellent gas mileage. It will be my last car . Subarus have a well deserved excellent reputation, and mine has lived up to it. The main difference in the Outback and Forester is the size. 

If you decide this is your car you'll be pleased I'm sure. Good luck!

Frequent Contributor

We had a 2010 one for five years and gave it to our son in college. We bought a 2015 one which we still have. Here in New England they’re great in the weather, dependable. My neighbor also bought one when she got rid of her Audi. Consumer Reports loves the Foresters. Good safety record too. Love the ads with the Goldens!!!! ❤️
Frequent Contributor

I should add my son is still driving his Forester. Looks like new.
Honored Contributor

I'd suggest test driving the Outback as well, @JeanLouiseFinch.  The ride seemed smoother to us.  Either one is a reliable car.

Valued Contributor

I drive a Forester and I absolutely love it. Never had any problems, even if it wasn't brand new when we got it. 

Trusted Contributor

We rented one for a week on our last vacation and really liked it.  It rode nice and was easy to drive.   Good visibility and didn't have any trouble with blind spots. 

Frequent Contributor

I own a 2017 Subaru Forrester. I LOVE it! I bought it new and haven't had any problems at all in these past years. I live in the north east.

Runs fine in cold weather-snow-rain-or anything else. Starts right up. Heat and A/C no problems. 

Honored Contributor

I'm on my 2nd Forester. Be careful of the new ones! My salesman told me on the new ones the engine turns off when you stop at lights so you have to restart it -- apparently some government regulation down the road for fuel efficiency that Subaru has already put on the Foresters.  I didn't drive a new one so I don't know that first hand. But that would keep me from buying one.  

I've loved my two, and great visibility is its best feature. Love the moon roof. The vehicle is very easy to get in and out of also (ranked one of the 10 best for seniors).

Esteemed Contributor

We've owned eight Subarus in our family. (no Foresters but the Legacy, station wagons and Crosstrek)  They are a good solid vehicle and the initial package includes some items that are  extra on other vehicles. I've ha the L.L. Bean wagon and the Crosstrek Limited which included the heavy duty (weathertec ) mats in the front, back and cargo areas, winter style wiper blades, defrost function on the side mirrors and carpet floor mats for warmer weather. 

Decide what extras you need and would want to have on the vehicle. Check to see what is included and what is not. Check the lenght of the warranty and what is included. We have found that to be better than most other brands. Decide if you are going to use the vehicle for road trips or just general transportation. That should help decide if you want a touring package  or not. I always add (if not included) the rails to the top of the car/wagon to carry home supplies, etc or just in case you need to transport a canoe,bike. 

Hope this helps you.