Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Crocheters on this forum ?

I have crocheted over 50 years.  I use Pinterest, youtube and a FB forum for patterns.  Most are free patterns.

Super Contributor

As most everything I've purchased over the past 10-15 years has been from online vendors, I've really haven't depended on my local yarn shops in years.  I'm an avid crocheter and knitter.  Most of the websites I frequent have been mentioned here already.  In addition, I use yarn.com, annie's catalogue, and dreamweaver yarns.  Definitely, as mentioned already, ravelry.com is an excellent source for patterns and yarn suggestions.

Respected Contributor

image.jpeg https___www.yarnspirations.com_dw_image_v2_BBZD_PRD_on_demandware.static_-_Sites-master-catalog-spinrite_default_dw4a6ad1ae_images_hi-res_RHC0429-021373M.jpg_sw=2000&sh=2000&sm=fit&q=60

Is this one you would be interested in?
It is free from Yarnspirations.

Trusted Contributor

I usually just do Hobby Lobby....but have to say.....

CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS TO MY FOLLOW WORKERS OF YARN....I AM A CROCHETER. I CAN STILL RECALL MY GRANDMOTHER SITTING ME DOWN WITH A BRIGHT HOT PINK BALL OF YARN, A CROCHET HOOK, AND HER PRECIOUS VOICE...SHOWING ME THE BASICS. REMEMBER THAT LONG LONG LONG STRING YOU WOULD MAKE?

I do think its not as popular....so for those still doing it...good for us !!!!  TEACH THE YOUNGSTERS SO THEY PASS IT ON. 

Respected Contributor

I watch a youtuber crocheter and she said one time her husband didn't want to wear any crocheted sweaters because crochet is more feminine in sweaters.  I would make a big afghan instead unless you were specifically asked to make them a sweater.

I do think yarninspirations would have the best patterns for something masculine in  crocheted sweaters.

And I know a lot crocheters  make sweaters for men so please don't tell me this is only my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

Purple Kitty has a ton of free crochet patterns online.  Good resource.

https://www.purplekittyyarns.com/free-patterns/crochet-patterns

Esteemed Contributor

That's disappointing. I used to knit and crochet almost everything until my carpal tunnel and arthritis got too painful. I had subscriptions to several pattern magazines back then. Can you buy pattern books at Hobby Lobby?

There were a couple knit shops in town where you could take your needles and yarn and sit and knit with others. One of those knit shops still exists not far from my neighborhood. I really miss doing needlework.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Try second hand stores, antique stores,  Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. You may be able to find old and not-so-old pattern books there. I have several books that include men's sweaters, but mostly for knitting. I crochet and knit. I mainly crochet blankets, doilies or hats, I knit sweaters, hats, mittens and socks.

Trusted Contributor

@northiie57 Thank you! Great site!