Honored Contributor

Re: Any Crocheters on this forum ?

A neighbor of mine, who owns a yarn shop, recommends ravelry.com for patterns. She says there are not a lot of new books and patterns being sold anymore, because knitters and crochets can get the patterns for free, online. 

Respected Contributor

@magicmoodzwrote: Do you live near yarn shops? I know they have become few and far between, but I think they are a real treasure. There is such an organic feeling seeing/touching all the beautiful yarns and patterns and usually the women working in these shops are master knitters/crocheters and can offer a wealth of information.

The only yarn stores that I am familiar with here are Michaels and JoAnn's craft stores which I went to along with Target and Walmart as I mentioned in my inital post but only Michaels and JoAnn's have yarn, a few books at JoAnns but no patterns for mens sweaters.  Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to take a look on amazon

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Do you have a Half Price Book Store? That is where I love to get my crafting books!

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1  wrote: Do you have a Half Price Book Store? That is where I love to get my crafting books!

Sorry I've never heard of this store but it gave me an idea to look into other book stores here or online. I going to look on Amazon  this evening

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I'm not sure about this but try your local library to see if they might have yarn/craft books ... a friend of mine has found that if our library doesn't have the book she's interested in, they are able to get it in from another branch that they are associated with. 

I also recommend Ravelry as my local yarn shops use them.  My local yarn shops are Apple Yarn & NWYarns & they both have very user friendly websites.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes 

Lots of good suggestions here

I went to yarnspirations and searched for crochet men sweater

Two popped up and I was able to download a pdf for both. I clicked on free pattern below the picture that popped up. I didnt have to join or sign in or anything. I totally understand. I don't like to do that either.

Also, lion brand dot com and premier yarn dot com let me download 

Respected Contributor

Definitely Ravelry will have something for you. Free to join, thousands of knitters and crocheters are members, great pattern search feature. It's a "must" for yarnworkers.  

Valued Contributor

Goodie2shoes, try Mary Maxim dot c*m, they have alot of patterns and yarn that you might be interested in.

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   I do crochet..... Although I haven't looked for patterns in a while, I know my Wal-Mart has a lot of yarn.  But looks like you received a lot of good suggestions here.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes This does not answer your sweater question, but it is an idea from the past. My grandmother crocheted each of us a ring. It was made from stretchy, metallic looking yarn and had 20-25 faux pearls made into it to stack and form a dome ring. The ring stretches for easy on/easy off. It was a Christmas gift that I have kept throughout the years. 

I do not know how to post pictures. It still looks great.