Respected Contributor

Any Crocheters on this forum ?

I have been crocheting for years.  My last project was a crib blanket for my niece's new baby about 1 yr ago and I crocheted a stuffed elephant for my grandson. So I have been trying to find a pattern for a man's sweater but not much of a variety out there online. The one's I have seen from yarn companies require you to provide your email and join there yarn club and I don't want to do that. In the past I have gone online and obtained a pattern w/o joining  any club, I just copyed it

I went to Michael's, Walmart and Target and was told they no longer sell pattern books and very little yarn. I went to JoAnn's craft  store and they had pattern books but no sweaters, only womens scarves,sweaters, childrens stuffed animals, hats etc  I was so surprised ! Has crocheting gone out of popularity now ? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Any Crocheters on this forum ?

Maybe online, I looked on Amazon for you but honestly didn't really know what I was looking for I don't crochet but I would love to learn, maybe some day.

Frequent Contributor

Just Google Crocheted Men’s Sweater Pattern Free.
Yarnspirations had a nice one.
Contributor

I knit quite a bit.  Have you looked on ravelry com.  They have thousands of patterns, a lot of them are free.  You can sort by only crochet, yards, yarn type, all kinds of things.  They hold the patterns in your library with them.  Doesn't cost to join.  I just ordered a kit from wobbles to try to learn to crochet.  Should be here tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes you can try Etsy, Pinterest and also Youtube.  

My sister-in-law made a sweater for her granddaughter from Youtube.

Respected Contributor

@lcubedsudburywrote: Just Google Crocheted Men’s Sweater Pattern Free.
Yarnspirations had a nice one. 

I went to that website and they have some nice looking sweaters but they want you to provide your email and join their yarn club to get the pattern and I won't do that. Thanks

Respected Contributor

@Ladybug57wrote:

I knit quite a bit.  Have you looked on ravelry com.  They have thousands of patterns, a lot of them are free.  You can sort by only crochet, yards, yarn type, all kinds of things.  They hold the patterns in your library with them.  Doesn't cost to join.  I just ordered a kit from wobbles to try to learn to crochet.  Should be here tomorrow.

Thanks, I will take a look, I don't remember seeing that website

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

I've been crocheting since I was a lttle girl ..... lots and lots of years. 

A friend and I have been teaching knittng and crochet with a group at our church. Lots of us do charity afghans, hats, scarves, layettes, etc. through our women's group.

I buy all my yarn online - from Premier Yarn, Webs, Herrschners, Litle Knits, Knit Picks, Lion Brand ..... so many places.  

Amazon has a great collection of knitting and crochet books.  For magazines, check Barnes and Nobel newstand.  Great selection of mags (at least at our local B&N).

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   Thanks for mentioning Herrschners.  I used to get their catalog but completely forgot about them.  And good prices and selection.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

Do you live near yarn shops? I know they have become few and far between, but I think they are a real treasure. There is such an organic feeling seeing/touching all the beautiful yarns and patterns and usually the women working in these shops are master knitters/crocheters and can offer a wealth of information.