Trusted Contributor

Anti-panic post regarding bare shelves....

Recently, there have been posts regarding not being able to find food, bare shelves, warning of food items not being found for the Holidays, etc. Well, I'm hoping this helps to put a few minds at ease.

Yes, the location of where you are in the country may be a part of it. That said, if you shop at Walmart, you will now find large Butterball Turkeys, cranberry sauce (jelly and with cranberries- Oceanspray and Walmart brand), Libby Pumpkin (both the pie mix and plain) plus many other items in your store. You may also find many bare shelves DUE TO FLOOR CHANGES. Apparently this is happening nationwide: employees are packing up bins and moving items as per the new aisle layout. Things are all over the place, in the back, bins galore plus food for the holidays is in stock (stored in the back). 

Publix is fully stocked (though more expensive) but friends up East say they are finding items at Giant, Safeway and FoodLion without issues.

I suppose the point of my post is to not fear; don't worry and please, don't hoard. If you want to purchase ahead of time, go for it (I did) and know you're prepared for the meals you enjoy with family/friends in the special days ahead.

Oh yeah, cleaning supplies galore as well, lol. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: Anti-panic post regarding bare shelves....

So far we have not seen any shortages, and we shop at 3 different markets.

Trader Joe's was short one day with cereal but fully stocked again.  They even had fresh organic cranberries.

Whole Foods is slipping and we shop there less and less.  We should have seen end caps with Thanksgiving products but so far nothing.  The regular products are there, though.  No empty or half-empty shelves.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

Thank you but unfortunately that woud definitely cost me a heck of a lot more to shop in FL.

Respected Contributor

I was recently in my local Walmart and couldn't believe the changes, chaos and mayhem going on in that store.  They are installing more self- checkout places and eliminating most cashier areas as well.  I also saw a robotic machine going up and down the aisles sweeping/cleaning, etc.  So sad from an employment perspective.  

Esteemed Contributor

Working exactly as planned so holiday panic buying sets in?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling I don't understand but ok.  As I stated, friends up East (MD, NJ, PA, NY) are seeing the same thing so...yeah. The are finding things there just like I am in FL.

@Snowpuppy  I don't see what is "working as planned", sorry. Items are out and nothing is limited. Just saying there is no reason TO panic and that often, there is a logical reason for what one sees.

@BornToShop Automation is going to be the norm going forward in all industries. This is why society needs to figure out what we humans are going to do with ourselves in the future regarding our purpose/employment. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

I don't usually shop at WalMart and haven't been inside a store in ages. I can't even remember last time I did a curbside pickup with them. So I can't comment on their conditions. 

But I do shop a couple of local grocery chains. Some aisle are stocked better than others. Some aisles, like the paper and cleaning aisles have large gaps. Many name brands hard to find and replaced with store brand or never heard of brands. 

What struck me, being from a major dairy state, were the gaps in the dairy case. I might be able to get the skim milk, but not the brand I usually buy, and not the size, and certainly not the price.

Now some of the shelf openings may be due to fewer people stocking shelves during off hours, since they're no longer open during off hours.  

@FiddleDeeDee, you're correct. The area you live probably has a lot to do with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did my shopping this morning at Publix.  Lots of shortages.

The bottled juice/juice box and gatorade shelves were just about empty.  Like 99% empty. There were signs up on those shelves saying to expect shortages on those products for the rest of the year.

Toilet paper, paper towels and napkins were all in good supply today.  Last week, Charmin was gone.  Much better today.

Spotty empty shelves throughout the store.  I don't let it worry me too much.  As I've mentioned before, if I have bread and cheese and butter, I can live on grilled cheese sandwiches if I have to. 

It is disconcerting though to see all the empty shelves.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  I just got back from Costco and Walmart. Costco had zero paper towels (regular roll kind). They didn't have any last week either. They also have a restriction of one package per person (when available). Walmart seemed to have most things, including paper towels.

Honored Contributor

I live in Western New York and have seen NO shortages anywhere and NO limited quantities to purchase...yet?  We don't have Costco but I heard they were doing it.

We have cases of Libby Pumpkin!  LOL

I have friends in southern IL that had a pickle shortage this summer while I had walls of it!  LOL  It has got to be a regional thing???

I think 'panic' has been handed to us since the very beginning....with everything.

I refuse to live like that!

If I can't find Libby, I will use Lakeshore, can't find that?  I'll make a Sweet Pot Pie...no pots?  Fine, I will make an apple pie....NO APPLES?

A bag of cookies with family and friends is just as good!