Trusted Contributor

Re: Anti-panic post regarding bare shelves....

@ROMARY wrote:

I still can't figure out why the container ships are sitting out there.

Aren't there enough people at the docks to unload and distribute the cargo?

I don't get it.

The items are out there on the ocean, waiting to be unloaded.

Exactly what's happening?

The way I heard it explained on my morning news is that there is a national shortage of over  60,000 truck drivers.  The docks are loaded with merchandise and there is no more room for the container ships to unload.  Why there is a shortage of drivers was really not addressed.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:
I shop at our local HEB grocery store and got everything on my list the only shortage is certain flavors of ice cream 😀😉

@Spurt   I hate it when that happens!!!  LOL

@Cakers3 

😄😄😄🍦

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

I still can't figure out why the container ships are sitting out there.

Aren't there enough people at the docks to unload and distribute the cargo?

I don't get it.

The items are out there on the ocean, waiting to be unloaded.

Exactly what's happening?

The way I heard it explained on my morning news is that there is a national shortage of over  60,000 truck drivers.  The docks are loaded with merchandise and there is no more room for the container ships to unload.  Why there is a shortage of drivers was really not addressed.

@ROMARY @chlema 

I wondered the same because SO many claim it's due to no one wanting to unload the ships due to "handouts, etc".  I decided to do some research and it makes sense regarding truckers:

1) Average age of a long-haul (and these are the crucial trucks that bring items to the 4 corners of the US as 68% of ALL freight is moved via the highway) is 55 years of age, male. Average age of ALL workers in the trucking industry is 44 years of age and male.

2) The average age of a NEW long-haul driver is 33 years of age, male.

3) Women make up only 6% of ALL truck drivers despite making up 47% of the nations' workforce.

4) The lifestyle is very tough on families/couples. Turnover is high because of this.

5) Must be 21 to acquire the necessary licence for driving a long-haul rig.

Truck driving is not something young adults want to do so....shortage of workers due to age; many retired, became ill due to age and the pandemic. Since many are paid via the mileage they drive and places were closed....they left the industry. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

I was in a small Aldis today and store was 2/3  full. No frozen pizza except breakfast ones.  Frozen food were very sparse. About 15 cartons of eggs. Very little meat, especially beef and pork. Five huge packs of chicken thighs. Alot of Halloween candy and snack foods. Three bags of garden salad. Canned goods and pumpkin also ,baking supplies, pet foods breads, and paper products ok. Cheeses looked well stocked but alot of  those were different  specialty kinds. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, thank you, posters re: Why, etc.

Went on a short evening walk with neighbors (after I posted my question).

They said almost exactly the same.  Re: truckers, etc., etc.

They have cable and I guess they have much more info than I'm able to have without cable.  

Anyway, a big thank you, as I might not have taken that walk.  It's wonderful to have questions answered here, and I truly appreciate that.

At least I can stop asking myself 'Why, why, why?'.

Have a nice rest of the week, dear posters.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am seeing shortages and some empty shelves. We went to 2 stores today looking for my husband's Diet Coke. No reg. paper plates to be found... only the more expensive hard paper plates. Some cleaning products I used to have no trouble finding I am now. Prices have really gone up!

ETA: Dog food has gotten scarce...I am now making my dog's food very often.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

I get why women and younger men don’t want to be long haul truck drivers. Long haul truck drivers are away from home for days and weeks at a time. I can appreciate preferring a job that doesn’t take me away from my family overnights. My nephew is 25 and a long haul driver. He’s usually gone Sunday afternoon til Friday night. If he had young children, he’d be missing an awful lot.
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

I live in Northern Maryland, where people panic buy if three inches of snow is forecast. Smiley LOL

My local Walmart was never that great to begin with about stocking, but it has gotten a lot worse this year. I don't shop there frequently, but the last time I was in, many things were not there.

The Weis store in my town has also had stocking & delivery issues. Gatorade there has been pretty non-existent the last couple of months.

I've had luck with Shoprite, Food Lion, and Wegmans. They seem to be almost fully stocked all the time. Shoprite also puts tags on empty shelves letting you know what's out and when it may come back in, which is helpful. 

@Cumbercookie13 - I read that on Gatorade shortages, they're having trouble getting the little plastic beads they make the bottles with.

@gidgetgh Interesting! I never knew that was the reason for the shortage. I thought  a lot of people just decided to start drinking it during the pandemic.

Trusted Contributor

Our Walmart has a robot thats wonders through the store as well, but ours doesnt clean, it is taking inventory from the codes on the shelfs.  It simply moves about and is scanning shelf stickers as it goes by.  I was totally confused by it, so I had the store manager explain it to me, kind of interesting.  I would like to see a cleaning one in my store, nice clean floors would be awesome!

Honored Contributor

There are definitely company wide limits at places like Sam's Club, Costco and BJ's on some items that have been nationally announced.  I periodically shop at Meijer and some items I noticed had limits on them.

Our local Sam's Club hasn't had half and half for a month now but I see it at every other store I'm in. 

The last 2 times I did on-line grocery shopping for curbside pick-up, I got non-stop texts about all the items they were out of and asking what they could substitute for me.  I was so annoyed, next time I'll just shop myself. 

My local Walmart was re-done over 6 months ago.  I walked in while they were in the middle of the re-model and walked back out, it was such a mess.  I haven't been back since but my SIL shops there almost exclusively and said they've gone to almost all self-checkout. 

The store I shop at the most is Giant Eagle and they've been pretty okay.  There are a few things here and there they don't have.