Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

First thought:  It would be a pittance for individuals, but quite a bit for legit organizations.  My little nonprofit, for example; it would cripple us. 

@Peaches McPhee,  I have to ask how many calls a day does your "little nonprofit" make a day?  Using the example pf 50 calls a day times an average of 20 working days a month would be 1,000 calls a month for about $10.

Interesting question, @Marp.  I'm gonna say alot more than 50 (maybe we aren't so little after all). We have 450 employees, say each make 10 a day.  That's $900 a month, $19,800 a year. 

I guess you are right.  It would not cripple us at all, really.

LOL @Peaches McPhee , I would not call any organization with 450 employees "little".  BTW, there is a typo in your post, the figure would the $10,800 a year.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I bought a new phone at the end of Nov. last year. This item has a 'call block' feature!! I was getting many, many calls a day.  I find these calls so intrusive and irritating!    Since using the new phone, l have blocked over 140 numbers.  These are numbers that called me.  I am so pleased and happy!! 

My message on the phone is "leave a message, if you don't, your call is not important and your number will be blocked".  None of the 140 numbers left a message!!  Loving the peace and quiet!!  Anyone who knows me or really needs to communicate with me will leave a message!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Answer to Robocalls?

[ Edited ]

We are the victims of these annoying calls....the robocall companies should be paying and paying big...but we should not be paying anything because of them....doubtful they could ever collect a dime since most of these companies are based overseas and are already skirting the law. The tax sounds like a good idea but in reality it probably couldn’t actually work.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The FCC has recently shutdown 4 robocall centers & I can’t find the article about it. 

But did find this article — so this technology is coming from various phone service providers.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/verizon-is-set-to-release-technology-to-stop-robocalls/

And to answer Marp’s question — not one single penny to them to stop robocalls to my house. Why should I pay to avoid calls? This should fall on phone service providers to stop these calls from going through.

I especially dislike neighborhood spoof calls.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Carmie , I’ve read that pressing any number to get the caller to stop calling you just tells the caller ‘we got a live one’. This is why you keep receiving their calls.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw just a blip on Shark Tank a couple of weeks ago with 2 guys that had come up with some type of a software system consumers can purchase that when the incoming call rings, it activates a voice recording with a voice that states they are having trouble hearing the caller, can you repeat that again a time or two.  I think there was also a point where the voice asks them to hang on and there is a barking dog or something, then comes back and says okay, now what were you saying?   Evidently the system they have can recognize the robocalls and the system was supposedly updated to add new numbers several times a day.

The actual recording they played was really funny and all of the sharks that night were really laughing.   I had to leave though so I don't know whether the guys were successful in having their venture picked up by one of the sharks or not.  But couldn't help thinking......I would love that type of a robocall spoofer system!  LOL

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Frequent Contributor

It's horrible. I never answer house phone anymore.  House phone set to maximum rings before voicemail picks up to tie up their caller.  Have anonymous call reject activated.  And have the ringer turned off.  Check the voicemail a couple times a day.  So far my cell isn't getting many calls but if it starts will set up only contact list calls ring.   Its so annoying almost feels like harrassment.

Honored Contributor
Voicemail is pretty much obsolete now....few people like getting them as they are annoying and texting is so much faster and easier. I block every call that comes on my cellphone if I don’t recognize the number. I hit answer, end, and then block. The next call will be from the same number with the last digit changed, for some reason the calls are not nearly as often for the past week...maybe one of the robocall centers that was shut down was sending calls to my area. Cut the landlines...you will get fewer robo calls on your cell
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Carmie , I’ve read that pressing any number to get the caller to stop calling you just tells the caller ‘we got a live one’. This is why you keep receiving their calls.

I have received hundreds of calls from this company...with at least 50 different phone numbers. These calls have been coming for about a year and a half.  It has only been a few times this past week that I have been answering, I block the calls when I am here immediately, but when I am not here, the answering machine picks up and I block them later.

The call log I posted are from my answering machine.  I have only tried to press a number a few times this past week.  I am at my wits end.

No matter if I answer and speak to a rep, block the call or press to be removed nothing has changed.  I am willing to do anything to get these calls to stop.

I am thinking about buying that red button that QVC sells to block phone numbers...my phone blocker only holds 250 numbers and it is full.

The calls are all a recording, never a live person unless you press a number to speak to a person.  The number you push is different on each call.

The calls appear to be selling Obama care, not Medicare supplements or Advantage Plans.  

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Nope, not at all in favor a fee/tax.

I solved this by filling all the numbers I know or need in the phone’s address book and then setting Do Not Disturb to only those numbers.  If someone else cares enough they will leave a voice message.  I already blocked one call this morning and I was not disturbed.  

Thank you.  I just set up DND on my iPhone.  It lets anyone on my contact list through all others go to voice mail.  I hope it works.  I don't answer my phone unless I know who is calling but just the annoyance of it all is bad.