Respected Contributor

Another school shooting in Denver

2 administrators were shot at East High School in Denver this morning.  1 is in critical condition and the other is in serious condition.  So sick of all this violence.  Can't believe how many very young kids are carrying guns and are so violent.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another school shooting in Denver

And so it goes. We live in the Wild Wild West !!

Respected Contributor

On the news it was said they have a "pat down" policy in place for certain students who may be carrying guns.  What I took away from the policy is that administrators are doing the pat downs.  Should be trained guard personnel rather than admin types.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine 

One has to wonder where the parental supervision is in some homes.

Yes, you are correct about kids and guns:  just a few months ago the country was saddened and horrified by the news story of the 6- year-old boy who shot and seriously injured a well-liked first grade female teacher. 

I have not seen an update on that story in a while.

Honored Contributor

Administrators should not have been patting down the shooter.  The SROs  (School Resource Officers) were released earlier and should have been in place on campus to attend to this duty.  Now that this has happened...I'm sure they will be reinstated. This could have been prevented with proper protocol in place.  

Sad and the parents were not aware of the patting down policy of certain targeted students.  The parents are not happy.  Given all of the "should have"....I'm hoping that the admin in critical condition will be stabilized and on the way towards healing.  

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@brandiwine 

One has to wonder where the parental supervision is in some homes.

Yes, you are correct about kids and guns:  just a few months ago the country was saddened and horrified by the news story of the 6- year-old boy who shot and seriously injured a well-liked first grade female teacher. 

I have not seen an update on that story in a while.

@maximillian 

I agree with you whole heartedly.  Unfortunately, there are many parents that are dysfunctional in a variety of ways. Virtually, anyone can get pregnant.

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian  - That school teacher was interviewed on the Today show yesterday by Savannah Guthrie.  She will have shrapnel from the bullet in her body for the rest of her life and is emotionally traumatized. They couldn't talk too much about the case, but said school authorities had been told that day the boy had a gun. I don't understand why nothing was done until she was shot.  The 6 year old will not be charged, but is receiving treatment at a facility.  A sad story all around.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Administrators should not have been patting down the shooter.  The SROs  (School Resource Officers) were released earlier and should have been in place on campus to attend to this duty.  Now that this has happened...I'm sure they will be reinstated. This could have been prevented with proper protocol in place.  

Sad and the parents were not aware of the patting down policy of certain targeted students.  The parents are not happy.  Given all of the "should have"....I'm hoping that the admin in critical condition will be stabilized and on the way towards healing.  

The District School Board voted unanimously in 2020 to remove the SROs because they "unfairly targeted students of color" and made them feel unsafe and wary of law enforcement.  Now the mayor of Denver is saying maybe that was a mistake.

It sounds like parents didn't like the patting down policy either.  So I guess students  with guns should just be left alone so they won't feel "wary" of authority???

Esteemed Contributor

SROs were removed because they "targeted" students and made them feel unsafe. Does everyone feel safer now?

Bonehead decisions made by uninformed school board members. I can think of different words to describe them, but the thread would be poofed. it probably will be, anyway.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@twinsister 

Sorry to bother, but in the interview was there discussion of the parents being charged as there has been in the past?

Thank you.