Honored Contributor

Re: Another question re: prison

No.

Esteemed Contributor

Erased no but on a case by case basis perhaps a chance to have the record sealed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

NO!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

In most cases I would say no. However there may be certain types of crimes that I would be willing to consider that but only when a certain period of time has gone by not only without reoffending but not getting in any type of trouble at all. When I say a certain amount of time, I mean years.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Do you think once a felon has served their time, that their criminal record should be erased?

I'm thinking perhaps it should, with the exception of child abuse or domestic violence.

@YorkieonmyPillow

Um .... maybe.  

Definitely NOT if the crime were drug or violence related.   But say the person was a shoplifter or something like that .... definitely maybe.

If a person leaving prison cannot find a job anywhere, what chance do they have of being rehabilitated and living an honest life?

People should pay for their crimes, but we should NOT set them up to fail afterwards!  That's just stupid, IMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Do you think once a felon has served their time, that their criminal record should be erased?

I'm thinking perhaps it should, with the exception of child abuse or domestic violence.

@YorkieonmyPillow

Um .... maybe.  

Definitely NOT if the crime were drug or violence related.   But say the person was a shoplifter or something like that .... definitely maybe.

If a person leaving prison cannot find a job anywhere, what chance do they have of being rehabilitated and living an honest life?

People should pay for their crimes, but we should NOT set them up to fail afterwards!  That's just stupid, IMO.

Good points but....

What I discovered due to my friends situation (see my post if interested) is there ARE jobs available- this issue comes down to 2 things: 1) the employer simply doesn't want the person as an employee and/or 2) the person doesn't want to do "that" kind of job.

Not all felons have the same restrictions. In the case involving the roommate, because her crime involved stealing millions of dollars (she was a bookkeeper), she has proven she can not be trusted around money or anything of high value that could be sold. So she can't ring register but she can work in CS, data entry, stocking, cleaning (office not in homes because she can't be bonded), fast food (but not working a register), hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc.... anywhere money isn't involved.

A felon convicted of a crime not involving theft/money wouldn't necessarily have the same restrictions; you really have to look at the crime and what the sentencing includes AFTER they have served their time and are now free. Being honest, I had not idea of so many things until this situation. It's been an education, let me tell ya.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely not. 

Trusted Contributor

I remember the Central Park Five.  I remember seeing a map in the newspaper detailing all the violent crimes that happened the night that jogger was assaulted.  This was the crime that put the term "Wolf Pack" into common usage.

That night, the Central Park Jogger was assaulted.  And then five young men were assaulted.  They are victims together.  Except the five young men were assaulted by our representatives, the government.  They were brutalized to the point of confessing to a crime they didn't do.  

So, I think we have a stinking way of dealing with criminals.  I especially think parole is a stinking process.  If you did the crime, you do the time, and that is that.  But we hound and harass these people for their whole life.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely NOT!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Nope.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras