Trusted Contributor

Another phone/computer scam....

This one says you paid for computer technical support and we have been ordered to shut down so we're calling to refund your money. I wonder how many people will be sucked in by the thought of getting some $$. 

The other day day it was your computer is compromised as it's being hijacked and will become obsolete and your info will be compromised. I really laughed at the end when it says if we called you by mistake ignore this message. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Another phone/computer scam....

Well I was just informed that I am eligible for $1 million, so that just made my day. The scary part was they knew my first name. I think this is more fallout from the Experian hack. Grrr....

Honored Contributor

Oh, please.  A person would have to be unbelievable naive to fall for that.  So clueless that they shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to a computer.  I get 2 or 3 calls telling me to call a certain number to arrange to pick up my student loan check.  I like money as well as anyone but I've never been tempted to all that number.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Oh, please.  A person would have to be unbelievable naive to fall for that.  So clueless that they shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to a computer.  I get 2 or 3 calls telling me to call a certain number to arrange to pick up my student loan check.  I like money as well as anyone but I've never been tempted to all that number.

People do fall for these scams, which is why there are so many of them. The creeps wouldn’t keep at it if they didn’t make money. The elderly and desperate are especially vulnerable. And the world apparently still has trusting people who can’t believe someone would steal money from them via a phone or computer.

I have had at least 10 different types of scam calls and messages in the past few weeks—not 10 calls but 10 different types of scams. Counting yesterday and this morning, I have had 4 scams on my iPhone message app. This has not happened before. I’ve had Facebook friends hacked and get scams on Messanger, and I’m to the point of abandoning that app because of it.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Oh, please.  A person would have to be unbelievable naive to fall for that.  So clueless that they shouldn't be allowed unsupervised access to a computer. 

"There's a sucker born every minute"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I live in relative bilss with my philosophy........don't answer any call I don't recognize.  If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a number.  

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I live in relative bilss with my philosophy........don't answer any call I don't recognize.  If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a number.  

I don't answer either. I've finally convinced my husband not to answer either. I figure anyone who wants to get ahold of me will leave a message. 

Honored Contributor

I kept getting a call from the same number at least once a day, that rang 4 times and then disconnected. I googled the number, so l knew it was the Microsoft computer virus scam.

Before l blocked the number, l wanted to have some fun with the lowlife, so l finally picked up the call. When the man with the thick Indian accent told me about the "problem" with my computer, l replied that l don't have a computer, then immediately blew a very loud whistle into his ear and hung up.

I then blocked the number, but he never tried to call back again. Woman LOL

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree  It puzzles me why so many of your reponses are so harsh and judgemental.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

Never under estimate the people out there with absolutely NO COMMON SENSE!!!! And this impacts all age groups and no matter what level of education---they could have a PHD but no common sense--- 

I mean why would the IRS want someone to send in their past due tax in the form of ITune cards or Gift cards....yet according to the FTC thousands have fallen for this scam.....

Or they are just plain stupid---- in these schemes pay a lawyer fee of $1000 because they got stuck in Nigeria with an invalid passport they want return to the U.S but have to pay the fine first .....and they promise to split a million dollar inheritance with you........Yah right and it will snow in August in Texas if you believe that one........

And the one I got from a "PASTOR" in Alabama that accidently received a Western Union money gift of $500 meant for me....and all I would have to do is to send a $148 processing fee to get it re-directed to me and deposited to my bank account....ROFL!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”