Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

...someone in Brazil had logged into my account.

I don't have a Spotify account,

I had to actually set up a 'NEW PASSWORD'

I didn't actually have a password to begin with.

Uh....I think you got scammed.

If you don't have a Spotify account,
don't fiddle around with it &
 just delete the email. 

Good luck. 

@sidsmom @Nope, Spotify's own website says scammers are stealing email accounts to open their own accounts. If I didn't check, the scanner might have done more. 

F3650ACD-29CC-48B9-B8BD-732262D8822D.jpeg

@sidsmom @Thank you so much. I did not see this anywhere. Now I'm stuck with a password with them. As you see, you need a password to do what they say. I will forward the email to them and I've already reset the password I never had in the first place🌝

Respected Contributor

This doesn't make sense. I can't understand why someone would open an account with someone else's email to which they don't have access, unless Spotify blocks accounts set up in Brazil and this was the only way the person had to get access to the site and listen to free music.

Maybe there's another angle I don't know about, but I think I'm reaching capacity for ways our lives can be fouled up, so maybe I don't want to know.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

D9E9D361-D57B-4FCA-9FC2-D9C4276B3561.png

YUP!  You were scammed.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

This doesn't make sense. I can't understand why someone would open an account with someone else's email to which they don't have access, unless Spotify blocks accounts set up in Brazil and this was the only way the person had to get access to the site and listen to free music.

Maybe there's another angle I don't know about, but I think I'm reaching capacity for ways our lives can be fouled up, so maybe I don't want to know.

@noodleann @Your guess is as good as mine. There really WAS AN ACCOUNT THERE WITH MY EMAIL. I checked my profile and there it was. The profile has me being born in 04 and living in a place listed as GB. That's why I'm glad I didn't just delete the email and move on. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

D9E9D361-D57B-4FCA-9FC2-D9C4276B3561.png

YUP!  You were scammed.

@Mz iMac @The scammer really did set up a Spotify account using my email address. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

...someone in Brazil had logged into my account.

I don't have a Spotify account,

I had to actually set up a 'NEW PASSWORD'

I didn't actually have a password to begin with.

Uh....I think you got scammed.

If you don't have a Spotify account,
don't fiddle around with it &
 just delete the email. 

Good luck. 

@sidsmom @Nope, Spotify's own website says scammers are stealing email accounts to open their own accounts. If I didn't check, the scanner might have done more. 

F3650ACD-29CC-48B9-B8BD-732262D8822D.jpeg

@sidsmom @Thank you so much. I did not see this anywhere. Now I'm stuck with a password with them. As you see, you need a password to do what they say. I will forward the email to them and I've already reset the password I never had in the first place🌝

@sidsmom @I forwarded the email to the address you provided. Thanks again. I don't think this was just spoofing though sine episode there was an account on the Spotify website. I reset the password. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

How could someone hack a Spotify account, or any account for that matter, that you don't even have??

That makes no sense at all.

Are you sure you went to the legit website for Spotify, not using a link in the email?

@KingstonsMom @You would think this reasoning is right. That's what I thought until I checked on the Spotify site. I have no idea how they do it, but they are doing it.

I am pretty sure I went to the real Spotify site. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@noodleann @Your guess is as good as mine. There really WAS AN ACCOUNT THERE WITH MY EMAIL. I checked my profile and there it was. The profile has me being born in 04 and living in a place listed as GB. That's why I'm glad I didn't just delete the email and move on. 

Thanks for sticking with the thread, @Mindy D . Fascinating. I wonder where the account was originally set up, because if it was in Brazil, from a Brazilian IP, then Spotify would have no reason to notify you about the login from there.

OTOH, maybe Spotify is the Great Voice of the Ether and you are actually only 16 and were born in Great Britain. Reality seems so fungible these days, why not? Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor
I hope you manually keyed in Spotify’s website and didn’t access it through the emails link. Otherwise you just fell for the scan.

You better run a full virus scan ASAP.
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Hi. I'm just posting to alert you about a new scam. I received an alert email from Spotify that someone in Brazil had logged into my account. I went to Spotify's website to check this out. I don't have a Spotify account, but this email is REAL. Spotify sends these to alert customers. Anyway, I had to actually set up a 'NEW PASSWORD' at their website and then go to the settings on the site and put in log out everywhere. Pretty scary since I didn't actually have a password to begin with. It's very hard to find the security information on Spotify's site. Spotify is a music site. You can listen for free or have a premium account where you pay. They are in some way connected to Facebook. I don't use Facebook anymore and haven't logged in there in about a year. Anyhow, don't ignore this email if you get one. Go to Spotify dot com and follow their instructions. I also screen shot the initial email and screenshot the profile for me at Spotify. My profile had me being born in "04", ha, ha.

@Mindy D 

It sounds like hackers got your email through Facebook and set up a scam through Spotify.  I would cancel that Spotify account that you created. 

And I suggest you go in and actually deactivate or totally terminate your Facebook account, there are instructions in the Facebook help center.

To cancel the Spotify account click on the Contact Us link in the Customer Service section. At the Contact Spotify page, click on the Account category.

How to Cancel Your Spotify Account

At the next page, click on the topic for "I want to close my Spotify account permanently." At the next page to Permanently Close Account, click Close Account.

At the "We're sad you want to leave us" page, click on the Close Account button.

Spotify confirms the account you wish to close. Click on the Continue button.

Spotify tries one last time to keep your account alive, telling you that you'll lose your username, playlists, and other features. If you're still determined, click on the checkbox for "I understand, and still want to close my account" and then click Continue.

As your final step, you have to click on a button to "Close My Account" in a verification message sent to your email address. After you do that, you've finally broken up with Spotify.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”