Esteemed Contributor

FDA has approved new test COVID19

FDA has approved a point of care test by ABBOTT.  Can get a result in 5 minutes.  Great news.  Hope this is available soon.

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA has approved new test COVID19

I hope ity does not involve shoving a stick up your nose six inches like the test they have now.

Super Contributor

Yes, having to wait days for the results is just plain crazy!  If you're infected you want to be treated right away.

Esteemed Contributor

Abbott is planning on doing 5 million tests per month.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you Abbott!

Honored Contributor

I would be nice to know ASAP if you're infected, but since there is no cure and very little treatment other than self quarantining unless you can't breath. Only then, you can be admitted. It really won't help too much.

If you have symptoms, or think you might have been exposed, you're supposed to self quarantine anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  The test will help a great deal.  People who are asymptomatic but  test positive will now know to self isolate.  So many people who have no idea they are shedding the virus can be tested.  It will allow the tracking of the virus to be more accurate, which we desperately need.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp   That sounds good on paper, but where will anyone with no symptoms get tested?

No place that I am aware of will test anyone who does not appear sick.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Snoopp   That sounds good on paper, but where will anyone with no symptoms get tested?

No place that I am aware of will test anyone who does not appear sick.  

If we ever want to get out of lockdown we have to have testing. I don't want to stay at home away from family for a year or longer thankyouverymuch. Morrrrrrrrrre testing! Bring it all on. Now.

If we have more tests we can test more people. And once we can test for antibodies, assuming people get immunity post recovery (and that's a big assumption), we know who can get back to work safely.

There is a path out of this. We just aren't on it yet. We're still wandering around trying to gather all the stragglers who refuse to stick together.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain   It ain't gonna happen.  Ordinary people like you and I will not be tested unless we have symptoms....even after the world is deemed safe again.  Who do you think is going to pay for this to check for antibodies?

Not the government and not your insurance company,  It's all going to come down to the money and life will go on...business as usual.