Honored Contributor

On Tuesday I got an email, looked very official, from "Chase" alerting I had some activity on my account that day which could lead to my account being closed (credit card). I hadn't purchased anything that day, within the email was a link to click on. Being as suspicious as I am I called Chase, I was told there was no activity on my card that day and they hadn't sent the email and was told to delete it. I feel bad for people who don't know they shouldn't open a link and then give away all their personal information. 

Trusted Contributor

I got a spam text msg yesterday from Chase about fraudulent activity on my account.   I don't have a Chase account. 

Honored Contributor

Happens a lot and w/inflation out of control will continue .

My grandson ? called me to tell me he had been arrested for dui. Another scam.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I got a text from Chase about suspected fraudulent activity on my account. I can't remember if the text gave a phone # to call. I called the number on the back of my card. Sure enough my account had been comprised. Someone tried to use the number on my card 5 times but Chase declined the attempted charges. They shut down my card and sent me a new card with a different #. So it always pays to call the company directly because often there are fraudulent charges. 

Respected Contributor

With emails, all you have to do is either hover over or click on the sender name, and it will show the email address from which the email came. Many times, you can see that it's not from the business and can mark it as spam.

Esteemed Contributor

Wondering what the link between inflation and spam bank emails and texts might be.

I've received the spam Chase text (having no account at Chase) as well as "spoofing" calls, where the scammers use actual bank phone numbers.  So far, no financial institutions I have any business with.

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Scam

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2,

That wording, "activity which could cause your account to be closed" is suspect too as opposed to just saying suspected fraudulent activity.

At any rate, I always just call the company if I suspect something off and that alerts them too of suspicious emails sent out. I never click on a link from an email but just log into the account online, if I need to.

I feel bad for some elderly or people who may not recognize a lot of these attempts to hack information and accounts.

It's good to remind ourselves of these things and be alert to them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I got a text from Chase about suspected fraudulent activity on my account. I can't remember if the text gave a phone # to call. I called the number on the back of my card. Sure enough my account had been comprised. Someone tried to use the number on my card 5 times but Chase declined the attempted charges. They shut down my card and sent me a new card with a different #. So it always pays to call the company directly because often there are fraudulent charges. 

That just happened to me this morning, although not from Chase.

I got a notification of "suspicious activity" on my credit card.  Rather than respond to the text, I called the customer service number on my card.  Yep, someone had tried to use it.  

They canceled the card of course.  I've been lucky so far; this is the first time I've been compromised.  But I don't respond to those types of texts or emails, I always call and wait for a real live human.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

I got a spam text msg yesterday from Chase about fraudulent activity on my account.   I don't have a Chase account. 

@decaf - yeah.  I get notices pretty regularly about my Wells Fargo account.  I don't bank with Wells Fargo, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Another Scam

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Happens a lot and w/inflation out of control will continue .

My grandson ? called me to tell me he had been arrested for dui. Another scam.

@Group 5 minus 1 - a friend of mine told me a few months ago that she got the "your grandson is in trouble" call recently and that she came "this close" to falling for it.  I was like really?????  That one to me is obvious but it wasn't to her.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?