Respected Contributor

@Zernia Rose   Princess Michael knew exactly what she was doing when she wore that brooch to the Christmas luncheon. With all of the jewels that she owns she just happened to choose a blackamoor brooch when meeting Meghan Markle for the first time. She once told a group of diners at a restaurant in NYC "to go back to the colonies" because she felt they were making too much noise. The diners just happened to be black. From what I have read about her there is no doubt in my mind that she is a racist.

The Royals call her Princes Pushy. 

Honored Contributor

I pay attention to what people such as art historians have to say about it. And as has been said here multiple times that princess has a well known history of being racist.

I have zero interest in defending the indefensible or in engaging with anyone who wants to try to do that. ZERO

https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/a33823120/blackamoor-history/

"One of those actions is to call out art and decor that, no matter its stated intention, is rooted in racism or bigotry. Among them: the Blackamoor, a depiction of a dark-skinned person—generally a slave or servant—of Moorish descent, which is used as ornamentation. Blackamoors can be found in the form of jewelry or in pieces of home decor. No matter the context or time period of the object, though, the motif is one that is undeniably damaging.

“They might have become synonymous with Old World luxury, but these items exploited servitude as ornamentation,” says Adrienne L. Childs, PhD, an art historian, curator, and author of the forthcoming book Ornamental Blackness: The Black Body in European Decorative Arts.

Blackamoors began appearing in European decorative arts in the 17th century. “They became popular in aristocratic homes, including the court of Louis XIV, at a time when Europeans were engaged in the slave trade. The notion of the ‘exotic’ Black body became a symbol with Baroque ostentation,” Childs says. Early Blackamoor figures, made from expensive ebony and silver, were almost always shown in servile positions—as as the base of a table, or supporting a candelabra, or even acting as a seat. “Basically, they were used as figural supports, the same way that you might have seen a dolphin or a cherub holding up a table.”

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

princess Michael also had two black sheep named Venus and Serena. I'm sure she just meant that as the highest tribute to those great female athletes.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

princess Michael also had two black sheep named Venus and Serena. I'm sure she just meant that as the highest tribute to those great female athletes.

@Greeneyedlady21   I forgot about that. Unbelievable that someone in this day could be so tone deaf. Or maybe there is no explanation other than she is what she is. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21   I forgot about that. Unbelievable that someone in this day could be so tone deaf. Or maybe there is no explanation other than she is what she is. 

Just out of curiosity if she had two  white sheep and named them that, would it then be acceptable?  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee No, I don't know anything about your family. Nor am I attacking your family. You seem unable or unwilling to accept information that contradicts your desire to proclaim the Blackamoors as beautiful art. They may be beautifully constructed objects and still convey racist imagery. 

Trusted Contributor

@50Mickey @Thank you for sharing this information. I didn't want to mention the luncheon because of the possibility of unleashing a torrent of criticism about Megan. Princess Michael knows exactly what her comments and actions convey.

Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 This is a wonderful explanation about the intent of the art. I will have to purchase the fortcoming book you referenced. Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@Somertime @Thank you for the clarifying information that the statues were not Blackamoors. I appreciate the correction.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Just out of curiosity if she had two  white sheep and named them that, would it then be acceptable?  

@beckyb1012   They weren't white sheep they were black and this is why she named them Venus and Serena. I feel that you are asking this question to make a point and not really expecting an answer.