Honored Contributor

Anyone shop at Gordman's?  They are described as "a Midwestern off-price retailer.  We seem to have a couple in Albuquerque, although I've never been there. 

Anyway, they've declared bankruptcy and are closing all their stores. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Sad news.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I've heard of this retailer, but Im gonna check with my sister in law who lives in that region.

Honored Contributor

no, have never heard of them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Yes - several Gordmans stores in my central Midwest region. I'm not sure what store to compare it with -- name brands sold with 20% discount up front, then continuous supply of additional 20% coupons. Layaway is an option. Popular store for Holiday gift shopping. Reminds me of Marshalls or TJ Maxx stores, regarding items sold.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

You have got to be kidding, I love that store, I always find something when we go, OH MAN I am sad to see this one go!

Valued Contributor

Family Christian Stores is going out of business too. It is obviously a different type of store, but another one going away. 

Honored Contributor

Arthur Beren Shoes bit the dust too.

Trusted Contributor

My very first job was at Richman Gordman, cutting roller window shades with a big honkin' circular saw  LOL.

On another note re: retailers going bust or in danger of --

Macy's is going to turn some of their departments into self-service (like cosmetics and shoes) and close about 79 stores.

And Neiman Marcus has put itself up for sale.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

My very first job was at Richman Gordman, cutting roller window shades with a big honkin' circular saw  LOL.

On another note re: retailers going bust or in danger of --

Macy's is going to turn some of their departments into self-service (like cosmetics and shoes) and close about 79 stores.

And Neiman Marcus has put itself up for sale.

The Macy's news is not a bad idea, in my opinion.  Cannot tell you how often I've walked into Macy's knowing exactly what cosmetic item I needed, and having to wait to purchase it.  Which would be why I now make my repeat purchases online.  If I could run in to the store, grab my eyebrow pencil and check out quickly...that would work for me!