Honored Contributor

Re: Another Florida Shooting

@MorningLover wrote:

Reports saying the Jacksonville gunman who opened fire

at Madden tournament 'was gamer who had lost'.

There's a bit more to it than just a sore loser. 

The whole world of gamers is like any other world: there are egos, rivalry and MONEY involved. You get all types pulled in (including the sleeze) as well as "words' being flung on twitter, Instagram, etc.

Like anything else, what SHOULD be fun is being turned into a nightmare. One of my boys  is involved via voice-overs as well as shooting footage; the money is INSANE. But....he's smart enough to keep out of the ego/words/smear campaigns as well as going into the public arena due to the....not so "good" people.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@ZhillsI don't agree with that thinking, I don't know how that gun toter will react in a situation, he's not in law enforcement. Even the cops make big mistakes doing their job. I think it's more of a macho thing with guys and open carry.

So you would feel safer if good guys were not allowed to have and carry guns, but bad guys, who have guns and will break the law, do have guns?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

For many years I've (often) been asking how the Wild Wild West had been turned around into a more civilized era (for a decent period of time).

Nobody, so far, has been able to answer my question.

I'm still asking....

I don't have the answer to your query, but in general, I think education and the passing and enforcement of legislation leads to a more civilized society. 

Honored Contributor

My favorite YouTube channel, “Agenda Free TV”

is running live commentary as of this writing:

https://youtu.be/iupSuRbUqmo

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Have to give you kudos for this site recommendation; it's excellent. I turn to it every time now. Thank you! 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@sidsmom  Have to give you kudos for this site recommendation; it's excellent. I turn to it every time now. Thank you! 

He’s v.e.r.y sensitive with his reporting....that I like, yes?

Seriously...he’s on 24 hours a day!

And he’s good about quoting your tweet if he mentions.

Very viewer active.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@ZhillsI don't agree with that thinking, I don't know how that gun toter will react in a situation, he's not in law enforcement. Even the cops make big mistakes doing their job. I think it's more of a macho thing with guys and open carry.

So you would feel safer if good guys were not allowed to have and carry guns, but bad guys, who have guns and will break the law, do have guns?

I can only answer for myself and not for @blackhole99, but it's just not that simple.   I think the core reason we never get anywhere in these discussions is because there are not any simple answers...  and because too many old memes get thrown into the mix...  and because too many of us have drawn a line in the sand, taken an immovable stance, and we don't listen to each other.    We don't hear each other, and we make absolutely no progress.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Time for anger management and conflict resolution and how to prevent entitlement. As we have always had guns.

Exactly.

This isn't how most people responded to stresses and pressures and challenges in the past. 

There is something wrong with people and society. The gun availability hasn't changed, people have. 

We have to fix the people. If they don't have guns they find other ways to injure and kill others. Removing just the 'thing' isn't going to make the root cause of the issues go away or stop the violence.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I was in a local chain store last week and noticed that a young man was carrying a holstered gun on his belt. I did not realize open carry was even legal in my state. After the man left I asked the clerk if the store owner was in the store and she said yes, he was in the office. I asked her to tell him I wanted to speak with him. I told him I was not going to shop at his store anymore unless he put a sign on the door that guns were not allowed in the store. He told me that was my perrogative and I told him it's my perrogative to tell anyone who will listen that he allows guns in his store. We really need to take this problem on as citizens and not follow like sheep to the slaughter.

I'm glad he didn't buckle to your 'demands'. As much as you value your view on this, others feel just the opposite.

Take your business where you feel most comfortable. I prefer to be somewhere that people have some chance of protecting themselves, rather than become sitting ducks.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

He’s v.e.r.y sensitive with his reporting....that I like, yes?

Seriously...he’s on 24 hours a day!

And he’s good about quoting your tweet if he mentions.

Very viewer active.

The comments and questions zoom by way too fast!

I need Evelyn Whats-Her-Name's speed reading course!