Trusted Contributor

Re: Annoying comments people say when you're retired

I don't take comments like that as insults, I just figure the person asking it is clueless or doesn't know what else to say. DH and I are busier now than when we were both working..,we sometimes look at each other and ask how did we ever find the time to work when we are so busy with everything else? 
to answer someone who asks what do I do all day...I just tell them I do whatever needs to be done and we then I do. Whatever I want to do. Then ask them "jealous"? 😎

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another one is "Have any plans for this weekend"?

No.Pretty much the same plans everyday. 

Maybe it is just another of those phrases that people say to be friendly almost like a hello or how are you but not really waiting for an answer, or just trying to connect in some way.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

When I get those kind of questions from people I just look at them and smile. Then I say "hopefully you will get to find that out when you retire." It really makes them wonder.

Respected Contributor

When I had my 2 sons, I was in my mid 30's.  I was working at a good paying full time job, but the commute to get there was about 50 minutes one way.

When my first son was born, the place I was emplyed at allowed employees to take a year of leave, mostly unpaid off.  I decided to do that, though things were tight, but we got through.

When I went back to work, my great boss informed me he was taking retirement in 6 months as a "heads  up" to me.

After discussing it with my "then husband", I chose to take early retirement because I had in enough time to do so.

I recall when my EX FIL was at our house and he asked me "______(insert my name), honey, what is it that you do all day?"

It was at that moment that I felt the need to put duct tape on my mouth to keep the peace.  Of course, he was the type of man that I would describe as a MCP.  

Esteemed Contributor

I actually haven't had anyone ask me after retirement "what do you do all day"? I have had people ask if I am enjoying retirement and I practically yell I LOVE RETIREMENT!

When I announced I was retiring early, I did have some of my coworkers (all men) ask me if I was going to feel guilty retiring while my husband still worked. Yeah, I feel so guilty. Smiley Happy My spouse owns his own company and does not want to retire. That's his choice ... I made my own choice and have not regretted it one time. I gave them over 8 weeks notice and by the last day, my entire home office had been purged of anything related to work. It was the most freeing experience to pack up the laptop and hand it over to UPS to send back. 

As others have written, I do whatever I want to do ... which is sometimes just sitting outside and reading a book. It's the not HAVING to do anything that is so nice, but I do keep quite busy most days, but because I WANT to do stuff.  

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

My husband and I are both retired for quite a few years now and are both in our late 70's.    One of the things that we find annoying is when we go different places like haircuts, etc. is if it is close to the weekend some will ask  "so what are you doing this weekend?"    We usually reply  "probably not much and thats what we enjoy most".  Woman WinkMan Wink

@Newgate  - why would you be annoyed with someone that is trying to start a conversation with you?  

Respected Contributor

I couldn't care less what anyone says to me about retirement, it's such a minor thing to me. 
When my son was killed, people also said a lot of cliched, useless, insensitive things. 
I learned from that to give people grace. I doubt if anyone gets up in the morning and makes a conscious decision to be rude. 
Smile and move on. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

I was fortunate to have retired young (age 51) as DH is older than I am and we worked together for many years running our practice.   Funny though people ask me that sometimes and not him, LOL!   My response is "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you"  hahaha, that usually ends that conversation........Anyway we are lucky to be fairly healthy at this stage in our lives and still have some traveling to do.  Two big bumps in the road.......breast cancer at age 54 and Covid!    We are looking forward to getting back to it!   We have a trip planned in May to the Azores which has been rescheduled 3 times (was originally April 2020)  Just hoping all is well enough so we can go.

I think sometimes people who work hard cannot even fathom NOT working.  It certainly was an adjustment for me so I can see why they ask.   Have to say though I appreciate it and I'm loving it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Doesn't bother me at all!!  I just say I do what I want every day and I do way less cleaning, cooking, etc then I did when I worked and am happy just doing nothing if that is what I feel like doing.  What I do find annoying is those who try to get me involved in things since I am retired!  I retired because I wanted no obligations. 

Honored Contributor

My response to that rude question is.......whatever I dam^ well please!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)