Honored Contributor

Re: Angry people of the Internet nowadays, Why?

Excellent info in that article SuiGeneris. And very true.

Respected Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Free2be said:
On 3/4/2015 sidsmom said:

There's a tipping point, tho. It expands the mind to hear other ideas/opinions, but more often than naught, once EMOTION is injected, it spirals out of control.

I enjoy a good conversation/debate on these boards from time to time, but emotion causes the tone to get ugly & unwarranted.

Just in this micro-mini world here @ the Q Community, I'm STUNNED some of these posters are so grotesquely mean. Just recently, an OP called some posters "illiterate" & "bullheaded". =:0 Another popular poster uses ugly emotion but they wrap it around "$5 words"...not quite so obvious, but just as mean.

It's a classic sign of insecurity....and not controlling emotion (like examples above) is definitely a weak link in their mindset.

Instead of "Ignoring" someone, I report posts as Inappropriate. Most times posts are removed soon after I report, so QVC Moderators should be applauded for their work to control the few.

Sidsmom, did you have webbie delete my thread this morning on the mean Duggar who deliberately sledded over a cat? That one went so fast -- not sure if Webbie adores the family or thought a cat being hurt was too much for good company.

I ignore a few posters in the same way I wouldn't have anything to do with them IRL.

That is just SO PETTY, reporting posts as inappropriate. Just ignore someone if it is a regular thing.

Who makes you the judge of what is inappropriate? Get over yourself.

Internet bullies are those who don't have any other way of dealing with things.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.sleep}

Respected Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Anonymity .... and bad parenting. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Kids are allowed to do things nowadays that my parent would never have let us get away with !! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Well look who raised them.

It's not just kids. I have seen grown adults on FB, who are divorcing, call each other the most horrific names. All the while , their kids are friends with both of them. It makes me wonder why so many people put their personal lives on display, it's crazy.

I also see crazy political stuff that holds no truth, yet it has hundreds of thousands of shares, I guess it's easier to repost it and be miffed, than to actually take 2 minutes to see if it's true.

Respected Contributor

On 3/4/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

There's a tipping point, tho. It expands the mind to hear other ideas/opinions, but more often than naught, once EMOTION is injected, it spirals out of control.

I enjoy a good conversation/debate on these boards from time to time, but emotion causes the tone to get ugly & unwarranted.

Just in this micro-mini world here @ the Q Community, I'm STUNNED some of these posters are so grotesquely mean. Just recently, an OP called some posters "illiterate" & "bullheaded". =:0 Another popular poster uses ugly emotion but they wrap it around "$5 words"...not quite so obvious, but just as mean.

It's a classic sign of insecurity....and not controlling emotion (like examples above) is definitely a weak link in their mindset.

Instead of "Ignoring" someone, I report posts as Inappropriate. Most times posts are removed soon after I report, so QVC Moderators should be applauded for their work to control the few.

Recently, I saw someone tell someone to _themselves only to return to start thread after thread. It seemed out of character for her too. She always struck me as a very nice person. I think when you get to that point, it is time for a break...

You may be speaking about me!

I agree that it may be best for ME to take a break from THIS board.

I had had it, and meant everything I said. I have never been exposed to the nonsense that goes on here ANYWHERE in life but here.

Hyacinth Smile

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 hyacinth003 said:

Recently, I saw someone tell someone to _themselves only to return to start thread after thread. It seemed out of character for her too. She always struck me as a very nice person. I think when you get to that point, it is time for a break...

I had had it, and meant everything I said. I have never been exposed to the nonsense that goes on here ANYWHERE in life but here.

Hyacinth Smile

Hyacinth, we all have our breaking point. That day you had yours.

There have been times, like yourself, I just walk away when a thread becomes too heated.

If you do decide to take a break, though, please not for too long. I like your posts and your point of view here and you have often made me think about a given topic regarding seeing both sides of the coin.Smile

Respected Contributor

personally..............I think all too often the internet is looked at as a virtual soap box...........people climb up and preach the word........their word........and get pretty emotionally tied up in it.............and that's where the trouble starts.........ya can't take this stuff seriously........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Because the webbie is always poofing our posts.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

Oh, you should watch the speech itself, it was incredible.

I know. We had granddaughter duties and so missed it. Having now read it, I must do a search to see if I can find a video of it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 SuiGeneris said:

If you really want to know "Why is Everyone on the Internet So Angry," there is an excellent online article on the Scientific American website. [http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-everyone-on-the-internet-so-angry/] Here are a few excerpts:

Psychologists say this addictive form of vitriolic back and forth [flame wars] should be avoided — or simply censored by online media outlets — because it actually damages society and mental health.

These days, online comments "are extraordinarily aggressive, without resolving anything," said Art Markman, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin. "At the end of it you can't possibly feel like anybody heard you. Having a strong emotional experience that doesn't resolve itself in any healthy way can't be a good thing."

If it's so unsatisfying and unhealthy, why do we do it?

A perfect storm of factors come together to engender the rudeness and aggression seen in the comments' sections of Web pages, Markman said. First, commenters are often virtually anonymous, and thus, unaccountable for their rudeness. Second, they are at a distance from the target of their anger — be it the article they're commenting on or another comment on that article — and people tend to antagonize distant abstractions more easily than living, breathing interlocutors. Third, it's easier to be nasty in writing than in speech, hence the now somewhat outmoded practice of leaving angry notes (back when people used paper), Markman said.

And because comment-section discourses don't happen in real time, commenters can write lengthy monologues, which tend to entrench them in their extreme viewpoint. "When you're having a conversation in person, who actually gets to deliver a monologue except people in the movies? Even if you get angry, people are talking back and forth and so eventually you have to calm down and listen so you can have a conversation," Markman told Life's Little Mysteries.

Chiming in on comment threads may even give one a feeling of accomplishment, albeit a false one. "There is so much going on in our lives that it is hard to find time to get out and physically help a cause, which makes 'armchair activism' an enticing [proposition]," a blogger at Daily Kos opined in a July 23 article.

And finally, Edward Wasserman, Knight Professor in Journalism Ethics at Washington and Lee University, noted another cause of the vitriol: bad examples set by the media. "Unfortunately, mainstream media have made a fortune teaching people the wrong ways to talk to each other, offering up Jerry Springer, Crossfire, Bill O'Reilly. People understandably conclude rage is the political vernacular, that this is how public ideas are talked about," Wasserman wrote in an article on his university's website. "It isn't."

. . . . . To read the rest of the article, click on the link; if you don't trust links, enter the title of the article [Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry] on google or other web search engine.

Very interesting, SuiGeneris. Thanks! I've been interested in the psychology behind internet posting (and trolling) for years. It was something my DH found intriguing, too, and as a psychiatrist he was able to provide insight. I guess our combo of IT and psychiatry helped us try to put the pieces together. I've been teased about my interest in it from time to time, but such is life.Wink Thanks, again -- I'm going to read more about it with your link.

Good thread, OP!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

On 3/5/2015 hyacinth003 said:

Hyacinth Smile

That has happened more than once to me. I try not to be caustic, but maybe I bring anger to myself for some reason. And it's true, never in RL, just here. {#emotions_dlg.crying}