Respected Contributor

Re: Angry people of the Internet nowadays, Why?

IF you're not here everyday.............you don't know an old one from a new one, because by what I see, they ALL are pretty old.........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

Why?  In my opinion, for many it can be a release for their pent up frustrations in their lives. Let it out! Many in the professional mental health field recomend doing a "release", for some the internet and it's anonymnity provide this.

Since millions more now use the internet, just as in real life, the more people one meets, the greater the chances of meeting "pent up" people. I've met many through my job/hockey/auto racing and in many facets of doing business.

Then there or those that are not really "pent up and/or angry". They just line to "stir the pot/pour fuel on a fire", I guess this gets their rocks off for them.

I see this as very easy to avoid by ignoring the "pot stiring" or seeing if

I might have something to offer the "pent up" by listening(reading of course). That is my view and/or opinion.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

People seem to be the angriest when they don't agree with my views but then most of the time those are the people I ignore.

Honored Contributor

People are mean simply because  they were raised and allowed to be self-absorbed and mean.  Nobody made them behave when they were growing up.  Role models are rude and crude, so what do you expect people to be?  We have no standards.  We are too afraid to say something is "wrong" or behavior is "bad" because we would be "judging."  What we used to call having standards.

One of my favorite quotes (this is maybe not exact but close!) is "People have lost the ability to differentiate between what is a social faux pas and when to call the police."

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

People seem to be the angriest when they don't agreein with my views but then most of the time those are the people I ignore.

That I see as being normal. Not really easy to get angry when agreement is a constant. When someone disagrees with something I have said? Now from my response to them they want to see it as me being angry? That is their perception, which is not even close to my reality in my response to them.

When someone resorts to "personal" attacks? To me that signifies they have no other avenue to make their point in our disagreement. Does that mean they are angry? Beats me as that would be me speculating. 

It takes a whole lot to "P" me off and chancesnof someone doing that in anonymnity?  Very minute', if even possible. Some are quick to see anger in written disagreements when there is none. Myself i see it as just a disagreement regardless of words chosen by those that disagree.

Makes discussions/debates much more enjoyable for me. If there are those that cannot debate with civility? Maybe they ought to re-examine their debating skills and/or methods.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

People are mean simply because  they were raised and allowed to be self-absorbed and mean.  Nobody made them behave when they were growing up.  Role models are rude and crude, so what do you expect people to be?  We have no standards.  We are too afraid to say something is "wrong" or behavior is "bad" because we would be "judging."  What we used to call having standards.

One of my favorite quotes (this is maybe not exact but close!) is "People have lost the ability to differentiate between what is a social faux pas and when to call the police."

OM you took the words out of my mouth

We all at some times are angry but this new crop does not take breath to settle down for a one on one it is just snarky remarks or want to shut down the dialogue... yet some dialogue that never should have started is worship by those same folks who want to shut down others opinions they wish would disappear... there is no love for their fellowman more of contempt...

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not. I don't expect them to.

But most people on this board have a problem if you don't agree with them, and in turn, they take it down to a personal level with comments like, "You don't know your Scripture," that from NoelSeven, and other remarks.

I guess it's hard to fathom that someone might actually see things from a different viewpoint and/or have a different frame of reference.

If you don't agree with them, then they will go all out to prove "something" is wrong with you; that is the problem.

The old "do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

It doesn't fly when you use that raising kids and it doesn't fly here.