Honored Contributor

A happy event, something to celebrate.  Children do care how long their parents live, something to consider.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  54 is not that old in terms of years - maybe in terms of being a father but he is certainly not alone.  No guarantee how long anyone is going to live even if you have your children in your 20s.

Respected Contributor

"Age" never stopped Alec Baldwin.   I just feel bad for the child when their parents are "gone" when their children are just starting college.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure the nanny's are much younger ...that's nasty .. I know ....

Super Contributor

when you are very rich you can buy anything!

Respected Contributor

What a natsy, unkind remark! 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@pugvette74 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

His children are beautiful.

I wonder why he waited until he was "old" to have children.  I am the child of older parents as well as three of my siblings.

At his age he should be a new PopPop and not a Dad of a newborn...just my opinion from personal experience.

I hope he lives a long life and can keep up with his sons.

@Carmie  Anderson Cooper is 54 years old... Not that old to have children. 

I know how old he is.  My father had children in his 50's.  I am one of them.  Physically a man can have children at an older age, but their children get cheated out of having a parent.  

I envy the posters here who are my age and still have their parents.  I lost mine years ago and my children and my siblings children were cheated out of grandparents.  They have 11 grandchildren and only met three of them...my children, but only one was old enough to remember.

When this new baby graduates from High School, Anderson will be 72.  

There is nothing wrong with having children when you're older, but IMO, it is better to be younger.

@Carmie There is also the reality that you will be left with decisions to make and problems to face for most of your life when parents are that much older.  You will have your old age issues to deal with and theirs.

Especially those who are only children, with families gone 30 years ago or more.  Along with the mental drain their is often a financial one if parents have not accounted for this in financial planning.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I wonder why he waited until he was "old" to have children.  I am the child of older parents as well as three of my siblings.

At his age he should be a new PopPop and not a Dad of a newborn...just my opinion from personal experience.

@Carmie  From what I've read when Cooper's 1st child was born, he was heavily influenced to have children by seeing best friend Andy Cohen's joy at having his son, which was also by surrogate (Cooper even used Cohen's nanny). 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anderson Cooper

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@pugvette74 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie  Anderson Cooper is 54 years old... Not that old to have children. 

It is women who get too old to conceive and bear children... men can be 90 years old and still "make"  babies... If by any chance  AC is not around to see his children say in collage or married etc...he has a ton of money to leave to them and they will be JUST FINE.  Most people only leave their children debt or NOTHING. 

It is his business, so I really don't care. I was just wondering why he waited.

i don't know why you and others mentioned that it is only woman who can't have children when they are older.  I know that.  That is NOT what my post was about.

I grew up without paternal grandparents and my maternal grandparents were old when I was born, so they didn't live very much longer after that.  I never did anything with my grandmother and hardly knew her. 

My two youngest children  as well as all their cousins never met their grandparents.  They died before the kids were born.

Yes, it is possible to have children when you are older, but from a child's view point, you get cheated out of some of life's presides moments...money can't buy that.

it doesn't feel fine when you lose your parents in your early 20's and have no grandparents like most of your friends.  Money doesn't make up for that.

Oh well, his choice.  I'd wish him and his sons happiness.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   As an only child whose parents were 40 and 41 when they had me in 1946, I do not feel cheated as you stated in any way shape or form.  You stated a child's view, you should have said your view, it's your personal feelings.  

I was the last of the grandchildren on both sides......on my mother's side, the nearest one to me in age was 23 years older and on my father's side, 13 years older.

I feel so grateful for the parents I had and treasure their love.  My father was 65 when he passed and my mother was 78.  I wouldn't trade them for anything in this world and I never, ever measured what anyone else had in their home life as compared to mine.

My husband was 47 years old when we had our son and I was 33.  My husband passed away at 88 when my son was 41.  My son feels the same as I.

I am grateful for what I had rather than what I didn't.  My parents were a blessing in my life in all their glory!  I wouldn't want them any other way.  It's not the age that children need but an abundance of love and caring that is important for a child.