Honored Contributor

An informative article about vitamin supplements...

I found it very helpful...link HERE

Esteemed Contributor

Re: An informative article about vitamin supplements...

Thanks for the info BUT, how folks choose to spend their money is their business.  The article insights by the title when it refers to people WASTING.  It's their personal business if they choose to waste, not a journalist.   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Thanks for the info BUT, how folks choose to spend their money is their business.  The article insights by the title when it refers to people WASTING.  It's their personal business if they choose to waste, not a journalist.   

@Puzzle Piece  This is not the 1st article I read on the subject. As an example, I stopped taking calcium supplements because it would do more harm than good.

I also eat more fortified cereals to help with nutrients I don't usually get enough of...

Contributor

The article echoes exactly what my doctor has told me for several years...that eating a healthy, balanced diet negates the need for any supplements. 

~not a new poster, not a new name, never banned, not my first day at the rodeo~
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe wrote:

The article echoes exactly what my doctor has told me for several years...that eating a healthy, balanced diet negates the need for any supplements. 

I agree...

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

@FrostyBabe wrote:

I agree...

I disagree with this. 

To maintain a proper weight, the average human body cannot be properly nourished with only foods, even if one eats only whole foods and in all necessary categories (and very few people actually do that). Those federal recommendations for daily amounts aren't accurate for everyone at every stage of life.

Most people have some deficiencies at some points in their lives, or could use a boost of certain vitamins or minerals to boost immunity or address other issues. 

It isn't a cookie cutter, one size fits all type thing, and like anything else, vitamin and mineral supplementation can be a changing endeavor throughout the changes one's body experiences during life's journey.

But today's trend to marginalize or even demonize vitamin and mineral supplementation is really heading people in the wrong direction, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take supplements under my doctor's recommendation and it has kept me off of prescription medication at a much reduced cost.  Nothing wrong with supplements as long as you know you need them and a doctor is watching you.

Like @Mominohio said, not everyone has a body that works correctly and can absorb everything you need from what you eat.  Some of us have genetic blood issues and I know others have gut issues that prevent them from getting everything they need the "right" way.  

I am very grateful I can buy something natural and get my body to where it needs to be without huge costs or potential side effects.

Honored Contributor

I shudder when I watch some of Andrew's shows and listen to the number of vitamins that Andrew, the hosts and some callers are taking.  I just think of how all those vitamins affect ones liver, trying to process 50+ vitamins a day.  Then he turns around and sells a product to help the liver.  SMH 

Honored Contributor

Just like diet is no body's business but your own, what supplements a person takes or how many is THEIR business.  Your body, your business. I take in a lot of supplements every day. Have been for 25 years.  I do not care if someone else takes nothing. Why should someone comment that I am wasting MY MONEY if I choose to take lots of supplements?  Perhaps it makes that person feel better? 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I shudder when I watch some of Andrew's shows and listen to the number of vitamins that Andrew, the hosts and some callers are taking.  I just think of how all those vitamins affect ones liver, trying to process 50+ vitamins a day.  Then he turns around and sells a product to help the liver.  SMH 

@Lipstickdiva  Oh my! That is a lot...

DH and I do take fish oil/Krill daily and he has to take a lot of fiber pills just before each meal because he had his gallbladder removed.

Besides the calcium, I used to take daily multi vitamins too. I stopped both of them and just take the krill oil pills.