Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Today I got a letter from the Federal Trade Commission. I was thinking what the heck is this. It was a lawsuit that was settled with Lindsey Duncan and the companies he controlled LLC and Genesis Today,Inc. The FTC alleged that the defendants made false claims about weight loss benefits of green bean extract. Yes, I was one of the idiots that watched Dr. Oz and bought a bottle of it. Needless to say it didn't work. That had to be at least 2 or 3 years ago. Today I got a refund for $29.99. I didn't know about the lawsuit but I will gladly cash the check!

@Jordan2

Isn't it SO much better to get an unexpected check in the mail ...   than an unexpected bill?    LOL

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Quick question/do you have to have proof of purchase like a receipt to qualify?

I bought this 2 or 3 years ago on line. I suppose they go through sales from different websites and stores that sell it. I didn't have a receipt but I did charge it so the website must have a record of it. I never knew there was a lawsuit in the works. 

Honored Contributor

Close to 2 yrs ago, I told my personal trainer about a

Vibram FiveFinger shoe lawsuit.  He completed the

paperwork and waited. And waited. And waited.   

Just this week he got a check for $21!

I got a big 'thank you' from him. 

Yeah, I'm his favorite client...!

Esteemed Contributor

About 8 years ago, I received a letter in the mail about a Class Action Law Suit and people who were smokers and can prove they received a smoking-related illness.  I was about to toss it when hubby said "fill it out - what's to lose, they're not asking you for any money" - so I did.  They asked for medical proof, etc., so I called my Cardiologist and the girls said they had gotten more than 200 calls already about the same thing and they were already pulling the medical information requested.

So, after receiving all the needed paperwork from the doctor, I submitted it and then forgot all about it.  Probably about a year or so later, I was outside on the patio brushing my dog when hubby came out and asked me to come in the house and sit down.  I was afraid something happened to someone in the family.  He then handed me an envelope and there was a check in there for $9,000.00.  He reminded me of the law suit.  The letter accompanying it said it was the first check and more will follow.

In short order, another check for about $3,750.00 and the last one for a little under $500.00.  The letter that I was about to throw away looked like junk mail to me and I didn't read it thoroughly.  So ladies, don't throw away your mail, even tho it looks like junk.  Recently, I was talking to a neighbor who goes to the same doctor and we got around to the law suit and she told me she also got the same amount and also got the same thing for her husband, who was already dead.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your response @Jordan2. That's good to hear. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

the nicest surprise I got was a $240 check from the Verizon wireless termination fees which were deemed excessive or something!

i didn't even know I was included. When the iPhone came out I believe the service was only offered thru AT&T (or T-Mobile) either way my son switched carriers and I clearly remember paying $250 termination fee to Verizon. 

Only ther her small check was $23 from AOL for what I don't know!

Found $$ is a nice surprise -- I almost threw them away thinking it was scam or  "junk mail" 🙀

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

About 8 years ago, I received a letter in the mail about a Class Action Law Suit and people who were smokers and can prove they received a smoking-related illness.  I was about to toss it when hubby said "fill it out - what's to lose, they're not asking you for any money" - so I did.  They asked for medical proof, etc., so I called my Cardiologist and the girls said they had gotten more than 200 calls already about the same thing and they were already pulling the medical information requested.

So, after receiving all the needed paperwork from the doctor, I submitted it and then forgot all about it.  Probably about a year or so later, I was outside on the patio brushing my dog when hubby came out and asked me to come in the house and sit down.  I was afraid something happened to someone in the family.  He then handed me an envelope and there was a check in there for $9,000.00.  He reminded me of the law suit.  The letter accompanying it said it was the first check and more will follow.

In short order, another check for about $3,750.00 and the last one for a little under $500.00.  The letter that I was about to throw away looked like junk mail to me and I didn't read it thoroughly.  So ladies, don't throw away your mail, even tho it looks like junk.  Recently, I was talking to a neighbor who goes to the same doctor and we got around to the law suit and she told me she also got the same amount and also got the same thing for her husband, who was already dead.

Wow, now those are checks! I hope you spent the money on something you really wanted!

Valued Contributor

A few years ago I got a letter from the government of a state in which I had previously lived. It told me that there was some unclaimed money waiting for me. All I had to do was present some proof of address while a resident of that state. The letter suggested a utilitiy company bill. I phoned, saying I was certain I had no copies of old bills. I was told that any letter written to me, as long as my name and address were on the envelope, would suffice. I save letters and cards; fortunately I still had a card my dad had sent me that worked just fine. That unclaimed money came from I-have-no-idea-where - but my check was for just over $1000! To the OP and others: we are smart to think 'scam' but as long as no one asks US to submit money, it may be worth a little bit of our time and trouble, right?

Esteemed Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Quick question/do you have to have proof of purchase like a receipt to qualify?

I've been part of these class-action lawsuit settlements many times.  Sometimes they require proof of purchase, but usually they do not.