Honored Contributor

Today I got a letter from the Federal Trade Commission. I was thinking what the heck is this. It was a lawsuit that was settled with Lindsey Duncan and the companies he controlled LLC and Genesis Today,Inc. The FTC alleged that the defendants made false claims about weight loss benefits of green bean extract. Yes, I was one of the idiots that watched Dr. Oz and bought a bottle of it. Needless to say it didn't work. That had to be at least 2 or 3 years ago. Today I got a refund for $29.99. I didn't know about the lawsuit but I will gladly cash the check!

Honored Contributor

Awesome!  I've gotten a few of those little checks over the years and it's just like money found.  Smiley Happy

The most recent one was about a case against Dreamfields.   BTW, I still use Dreamfields dry pasta products, as I like them very much.  Anyway, I got  4 little checks in the mail one day for an amount totalling almost $170.

I verified that they were legit and deposited them.   fun!  

I also had received a little less than $100 several years ago for one of those OTC cold meds that was, like your product, one of those which the company made untrue claims.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Awesome!  I've gotten a few of those little checks over the years and it's just like money found.  Smiley Happy

The most recent one was about a case against Dreamfields.   BTW, I still use Dreamfields dry pasta products, as I like them very much.  Anyway, I got  4 little checks in the mail one day for an amount totalling almost $170.

I verified that they were legit and deposited them.   fun!  

I also had received a little less than $100 several years ago for one of those OTC cold meds that was, like your product, one of those which the company made untrue claims.

I got a postcard the other day about a class action lawsuit against Conair for one of their hairdryers (I think a Conair Infiniti Pro sold in New York and California). I'm not sure how they know I have one, I must have registered it. I'll see if anything ever comes of it. 

Honored Contributor

I love unexpected money.  It's rare for me though.

Honored Contributor

Re: An Unexpected Refund

[ Edited ]

@Jordan

While I still respect Dr. Oz for his skills related to his specialty, which is cardiology, my belief is he sold out some of his principals by endorsing phony weight loss products and methods.

As far as I am concerned, and I at one time was a BIG heavyweight, I learned by reading/attending Clinics, and my own experiences, what does work, and for most people that are healthy and have no dietary food restrictions.

Takes most people that feel they are overweight many years to put on the pounds, which are mostly fat tissue. But for some reason some seem to think there is a magic pill/herb or drink that will quickly return them to the weight with which they felt good and were happy.

The only way for most is the proven way. Eat the foods that nourish your body/in the proper portion sizes for your size and physical activities, and have a regular exercise program (preferably one you enjoy), that at times increases your heart rate. The first step should always be to get the ok from your DOCTOR before starting.

Oh, by the way. How ya gonna spend all that money you wasted?

hnj

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I got an unexpected windfall too!

Apparently the CVS version of Airborne had made unsubstantiated claims, so there'd been a lawsuit. I don't even remember buying it.

My windfall was for $2.71, but I gladly cashed it. Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

just put my check in the bank.............I stopped watching Dr Oz a long time ago.......

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago, I got a credit from Amazon for 130.00 or so, as a result of a publishers price fixing lawsuit. I had fun buying a bunch of Kindle books !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I received an unexpected check years ago - don't recall the amount - but I bought BEE ALIVE from that woman vendor.  Do you remember her?   She made health claims - I was aware of the class action but didn't think my one or two products purchased would bring actual money.  Hey, you never know!

Honored Contributor

I got one around the same time as the bee lady for the guy who sold the "weight loss" bars on qvc.

They were tasty and I enjoyed them but no weight loss.