Valued Contributor

say what you will about Amazon but they are the only place I can always find what I need, After several shopping trips local and not one of them having what I wanted, only Amazon had many choices, I ordered a waterproof dog jacket with attached harness (no pet store or big box store has these). I chose free shipping and the ETA was 10 days out. It came in 3 days (we do have a large distribution center here). It did not fit. I went back to the site to initiate a return,

They provide a bar code which you take to the UPS store and they scan it, they box it, they label it and hand you a receipt with tracking number on it. By the time I got home I got a notice that a refund was processed, By the next day the credit was in my Amex account. No one else can do this!

I checked tracking today and all it says was label created 11/24 at the UPS store, no movement, I called UPS and the guy said was it going back to Amazon? He said they are so swamped they are behind in unloading trucks and scanning in their returns. OK, so I got my refund but can you imagine the volume they are doing now? Not just the holidays but Covid forcing everyone to shop from home.

Anyway just wanted to give that heads up on your returns if you're wondering why its taking so long right now

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

say what you will about Amazon but they are the only place I can always find what I need, After several shopping trips local and not one of them having what I wanted, only Amazon had many choices, I ordered a waterproof dog jacket with attached harness (no pet store or big box store has these). I chose free shipping and the ETA was 10 days out. It came in 3 days (we do have a large distribution center here). It did not fit. I went back to the site to initiate a return,

They provide a bar code which you take to the UPS store and they scan it, they box it, they label it and hand you a receipt with tracking number on it. By the time I got home I got a notice that a refund was processed, By the next day the credit was in my Amex account. No one else can do this!

I checked tracking today and all it says was label created 11/24 at the UPS store, no movement, I called UPS and the guy said was it going back to Amazon? He said they are so swamped they are behind in unloading trucks and scanning in their returns. OK, so I got my refund but can you imagine the volume they are doing now? Not just the holidays but Covid forcing everyone to shop from home.

Anyway just wanted to give that heads up on your returns if you're wondering why its taking so long right now

Amazon's return instructions to me indicated I should do the packing, and if I left it to UPS, there might be a charge. This has been discussed here, and others have had UPS do the packing and haven't been hit with a deduction on the refund from Amazon. But I do it myself anyway. With my luck, I'd be the first to be charged.

The receipt I got from UPS for my return, a full-sized piece of paper, indicated that there was an issue with the tracking showing up on Amazon returns processed by UPS, and not to contact UPS about it. Perhaps you could check your receipt to see if it says something similar.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Returns

[ Edited ]

makes sense to me.

amazon is worth several hundred times what QVC is for one thing

for another - the majority of their profit doesn’t come from what we buy from them-  except maybe for anything you spend on their cloud services.

i still prefer to shop locally for as much as possible but realistically I question how much local can survive

Valued Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

Amazon's return instructions to me indicated I should do the packing, and if I left it to UPS, there might be a charge. This has been discussed here, and others have had UPS do the packing and haven't been hit with a deduction on the refund from Amazon. But I do it myself anyway. With my luck, I'd be the first to be charged.

The receipt I got from UPS for my return, a full-sized piece of paper, indicated that there was an issue with the tracking showing up on Amazon returns processed by UPS, and not to contact UPS about it. Perhaps you could check your receipt to see if it says something similar.

Why are you telling me this now? I already called UPS and was passing along the information in case others were wondering why their tracking label had no movement. I got my refund so it's not my problem if it never shows up. Also, Amazon's return policy on my order said not to pack it, it would all be done by your UPS store and it was. I was in and out in 60 seconds after they scanned the code on my phone

Valued Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

makes sense to me.

amazon is worth several hundred times what QVC is for one thing

for another - the majority of their profit doesn’t come from what we buy from them-  except maybe for anything you spend on their cloud services.

i still prefer to shop locally for as much as possible but realistically I question how much local can survive

So? Was there something in my post that compared Amazon to QVC? It was merely informational. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

I take my Amz to the UPS store by the end of the day it's full of returns to Amz,  it's amazing and somewhat disturbing to think of the number of boxes in circulation ...

Honored Contributor

When returning an Amazon item I never pick the option that the UPS store packs and sends my item back. I tried that once and I wasn't able to track my return. All I ever do is put it in a box/package run their return label, put it on, drop it off at my local UPS store and done. Within an hour my refund has already been issued. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon Returns

[ Edited ]

@PinkSunset 

And.................... many times you get creditied and don't even have to return anything!

I have been shopping Amazon since it began as a book store..lol   

Anyproblem I have ever had,(very,very few) they have told me to keep the item and immediately refunded  my CC for it no questions asked! 

Honored Contributor

I believe if you take your item to an actual UPS location, you are charged for the packaging, etc.  If you take it to a UPS store, it is done at no cost.

Personally, I prefer Amazon provide me with a label and allow me to package my item, affix the label and drop it in a UPS box or mailbox.  I don't want to have to go inside a UPS store, UPS location or Kohls.  That is not convenient for me.      

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma me too !   As a matter of fact I just had ot return something and I was told me not to send it back and they would credit my CC.  Shortly after I received an email telling me it had been credited.  Can't beat that !