Respected Contributor

I mostly shop on line now and  have had Amazon Prime for a year and just renewed for another year.  I find that in addition to free and fast shipping, there is no charge for returns.  Just love it.

Honored Contributor

Am a big fan too. Yesterday I ordered food from Amazon to be delivered from a local restaurant thru my Echo dot!!!!! OMG--what a great thing!! The food was great from a place I had never eaten at before. I buy alot from Amazon all the time. My go to place first.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't belong to Prime right now, b/c I buy in spurts from them. Last week I made a purchase of $49., not Prime, and it arrived in 24 hours.

Amazon's got the s&h down pat; nobody can beat them. However, their prices are not always the best.

Esteemed Contributor

I joined years ago when it was $79.  I stayed when it went to $99.  When it was due to renew at $109 I quit.  I wasn't using anything the the free shipping.  When I looked for movies, they didn't have what I looked for.  Right after that they started with original series.  Not enough to get me back.

Lately (the last year or two) I see where they have special prices on certain items ONLY for Prime members.  That's just unfair.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I joined years ago when it was $79.  I stayed when it went to $99.  When it was due to renew at $109 I quit.  I wasn't using anything the the free shipping.  When I looked for movies, they didn't have what I looked for.  Right after that they started with original series.  Not enough to get me back.

Lately (the last year or two) I see where they have special prices on certain items ONLY for Prime members.  That's just unfair.

Well @esmerelda it's no more unfair than for you to have a "rewards card" that no one else has.

It is no more unfair, than any other entity that uses incentives to get customers to sign on.  Amazon is no different.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis  The "rewards" cards I have are free. I don't pay an annual fee for any of them.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I'm not a Prime member and on the rare occasion that I want to order on Amazon, I have a difficult time trying to find something for me to order, it seems that about 90% of all their items are for Prime members only.

We get incentives at work, most are Amazon gift cards.   A couple of years ago, I had no problem finding items but now it's not even worth my time to look.  I know right  now I probably have over $100 in gift cards I probably won't use.   

I write this to say, for Prime members, you should never have a problem finding items.

(bolded by me)  Wait, what?   Just because something is Prime only means that people who are Prime members have free 2-day shipping, no?   I've never heard of actual items that you couldn't order unless you have Prime.   

I didn't know that Prime went up again.   That's  a drag, so soon.   IMO, one big reason they keep having to raise prices for benefits is that there are more and more people cheating the system.  For example, I've heard/read people talking about having other people who are not in their household on their membership.  This just costs the rest of us who don't cheat.   

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@software wrote:

I'm not a Prime member and on the rare occasion that I want to order on Amazon, I have a difficult time trying to find something for me to order, it seems that about 90% of all their items are for Prime members only.

We get incentives at work, most are Amazon gift cards.   A couple of years ago, I had no problem finding items but now it's not even worth my time to look.  I know right  now I probably have over $100 in gift cards I probably won't use.   

I write this to say, for Prime members, you should never have a problem finding items.

(bolded by me)  Wait, what?   Just because something is Prime only means that people who are Prime members have free 2-day shipping, no?   I've never heard of actual items that you couldn't order unless you have Prime.   

I didn't know that Prime went up again.   That's  a drag, so soon.   IMO, one big reason they keep having to raise prices for benefits is that there are more and more people cheating the system.  For example, I've heard/read people talking about having other people who are not in their household on their membership.  This just costs the rest of us who don't cheat.   

@chickenbutt  I just renewed my Prime.  The base price is still $99, but then they add tax.  I just looked at my invoice to be sure.  Price was $99 + $9.41 tax, making the total $108.41.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

NickNack wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

software wrote:

@chickenbutt  I just renewed my Prime.  The base price is still $99, but then they add tax.  I just looked at my invoice to be sure.  Price was $99 + $9.41 tax, making the total $108.41.

Ah, I see.   Oh well.   Mine doesn't come up again until January and I don't even remember if I noticed if sales tax was added.  I think 'service' is taxable in some states but not in others so maybe it comes under that category.    

Your rate of tax is higher than ours!  Wow.  Ours just went up to 8-something and I hadn't even noticed until one day when I bought something from Amazon that was exactly $100.   

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda you're lucky then because some credit cards do apply an annual fee.  Thinking beyond the CC cards though, drugstore cards (I have them all) supermarket savings cards.  If you don't have one and others do, why should you get what they get?  Why wouldn't you instead do what you had to do to get the benefits for yourself?  A library card works in similar fashion.  No card, no borrowing.  Simple concept.

*Call Tyrone*