Esteemed Contributor

I have only ordered from Amazon once before so obviously I'm not a Prime member.  I ordered three different gifts items.  One item was delivered in a few days, one has been delayed by four/five days, and one was cancelled because the email said it could not be fulfilled yet the item was available when purchased.  People are always touting the fast delivery.  This has not been my experience.  Just wondering if what I experienced happens often.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Ordering Question

There's Amazon themselves and then there are vendors who sell through Amazon. By and large, deliveries from Amazon themself come very quickly. Often the next day. Some things from vendors using Amazon take longer. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Sorry you had problems. I order from the frequently and haven't had many shipping problems. Also, when I had a problem it was fixed quickly. A few weeks ago I ordered something Saturday morning and it was here that afternoon! The item was probably stocked in the local wArhouse. 

Honored Contributor

@Biftu - when you are on the item page and decide to order it you need to look over on the right hand side and see where it says sold by and ships from. Those are 2 different line items.

If it says ships from someone other than Amazon, then it's coming from a different company.

I order from Amazon all the time, like really frequently and can count maybe 2 issues in 20 years for me.

'Can you take a look at your orders and see who is selling and who is shipping?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My last experience with Amazon was not what I expected.

I was looking for Paul Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar salad dressing. It was discontinued so I wanted to try and find it before it disappeared.  

I found it in a market in San Francisco. So I ordered 6 bottles at an unreasonable price. But I figured it was worth it.

Waited and waited for delivery. Finally about 2 weeks later, I got a box from Walmart. It contained 6 bottles of Classic Oil and Vinegar. It was not what I ordered. I could walk into any grocery and get Classic Oil and Vinegar at a reasonable price. 

Lesson learned. 

Esteemed Contributor

We order regularly from Amazon and we are Prime members.  As others said different items will take different amounts of time to be delivered.  Generally your delivery dates will be on your order confirmation so you will have an idea.   I've never really had issues with my Prime orders and for us it really has worked out well and is quite worth it.  Sure beats ordering on this website!

Honored Contributor

@Biftu I'm not a Prime member but I've shopped Amazon for years.

I usually only buy items that say shipped by Amazon. Now and then I've gotten things not shipped by A but I carefully read all the REVIEWS before I decide whether to order or not. So far everything has been fine for the last 12 years.

Honored Contributor

First, millions of people are Prime members and they never bought or intend to buy anything from Amazon.  The real value of having Prime is in the TV shows, movies, music, books, photo storage, gaming, grocery delivery and probably some other features.  It's likely you don't understand how to shop with Amazon.  Amazon is a platform not a retailer.  While Amazon does sell millions of products itself, they also have millions of third party sellers.  Some third party sellers are not in this country so delivery can take a while.  Also there are still supply chain issues.  I avoid third party sellers and I always use my Prime membership to avoid situations like you encountered.  YouTube has tutorials on how to shop on Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Biftu - when you are on the item page and decide to order it you need to look over on the right hand side and see where it says sold by and ships from. Those are 2 different line items.

If it says ships from someone other than Amazon, then it's coming from a different company.

I order from Amazon all the time, like really frequently and can count maybe 2 issues in 20 years for me.

'Can you take a look at your orders and see who is selling and who is shipping?

@gidgetgh  Unfortunately none of these items were available to be shipped from Amazon. It's ok, I'm not in a rush to get these items.  Disappointed in the one that was unable to ship,  On that one my order should not have been processed.  I got the notification a few days after it was placed.

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

We order regularly from Amazon and we are Prime members.  As others said different items will take different amounts of time to be delivered.  Generally your delivery dates will be on your order confirmation so you will have an idea.   I've never really had issues with my Prime orders and for us it really has worked out well and is quite worth it.  Sure beats ordering on this website!

@LindaSal  The delivery dates were on my confirmation, but I received an email a few days later that one was delayed and the other would not ship.  It's ok, just curious if this is a common occurrence.  Not a fan of Amazon practices, especially towards employees, so I would only order from them if I couldn't find an item elsewhwere.  Also, I'm not interested in paying so much to shop on their site, and not at all interested in their other "perks."