Super Contributor
Fraud Alert - A call from an 888 area codeis a fraud call, not Amazon reporting suspicious activity that someone is trying to buy an IPhone. I recently became a victim of credit card fraud so I was scared even though though my card was canceled and the charges taken off my statement. I am recovering from same day surgery and didn’t need this scare. Take care community❤️🙏
Super Contributor

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

These scams, in one form or another, have been around for years.

The most common one is some bogus call from someone reporting "suspicious activity"

I recently answered my cell w/out looking at caller I.D. and got a recording stating they were from Apple and reporting "suspicious acitvity."

Hilarious as neither I nor anyone in my family has any Apple devices.

Honored Contributor

I recently got several emails that claimed to be from Vince Camuto saying I could be in legal trouble . They made no sense, and I knew they were bogus, a couple of days later I got an email from the real Vince Camuto, saying it was a phishing scam and not to respond. Duh.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@LadyAlice  I'm so sorry you had to put up with something like that.

A few months ago I thought similar had happened to me, so I canceled out the card and got a new one, but I figured out that initially what I was told the price would be was different posted because the tax wasn't added on initially.

My heart goes out to you that you had to spend your energy dealing with this instead of being able to fully put all of your energy in healing your body.

I hope you are feeling better.  I guess we all have to think there are more honest people in this world than those who steal and cheat others.

My mother had a saying, "What goes around comes around".  I always took it to mean (similar) "People who cheat others will get cheated on.  You can't go through life cheating others that sooner or later you will become cheated on".

Thinking of you...hoping you feel better...Annnabellethecat.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I simply do not answer if I do not know the caller ID.  Sometimes even if I do i.e. when I know the call is political.  If it goes to voice mail I can delete it from there.  Very seldom does that happen if you don't answer.

Super Contributor

I got a fake email from "Amazon" which didn't look like other emails confirming orders, so I deleted it without opening it.  I also got a fake phone call this week about a charge for $100 on my Prime account.  Unfortunately for the scammers, I don't have a Prime account.  The caller said he would "cancel the order". I notified Amazon but also cancelled my VISA account and will get a new account/card.

Occasional Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I recently got several emails that claimed to be from Vince Camuto saying I could be in legal trouble . They made no sense, and I knew they were bogus, a couple of days later I got an email from the real Vince Camuto, saying it was a phishing scam and not to respond. Duh.

@QVCkitty1 Vince Camuto is one of my favorite designers and would be thrilled to receive an email from him.  How did the real Vince know who all the people were that got contacted bogusly?  Are you saying that both were bogus because that makes more sense to me, although I love him so, I have a lot of his clothing, purses and shoes.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon Fraud Alert

[ Edited ]

My Amazon account was hacked about a year ago and it took me seven months to settle it with Amazon because they kept insisting that I pay for the fraudulent charges. They had me locked out the entire time. It was ridiculous.  It wasn’t until I started a chain of emails that it was resolved within about 10 days. Phone calls fell on deaf ears.   I closed the account, and when I went to close it out I noticed that there was a delivery address added on the account to a town in Germany...no doubt the hacker.  Done with amazon because of the lack of customer support or service. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fraud Alert

[ Edited ]

If vince camuto called anyone that would be from beyond the grave.  Didnt he die like 4-5 years ago.??