Honored Contributor

I don't know what it is about my husband but he has found an envelope of money (at the bank table with deposit slips), a purse lying in the middle of the street (a teacher put it on the top of her car and forgot it) and a wallet at the mall (a 20 something dropped it and did not notice).

My husband has gone to alot of trouble to try and get the items back to their rightful owner. It is not always easy.

My husband took the envelope of money to a teller and explained where he found the envelope. He was disappointed that she could care less. And wondered if she was just going to keep the envelope.

The purse, since he found it in the street in a residential neighborhood. He knocked on doors and tried to find the owner. The ID in the wallet was for a Philadelphia address (he was in a suburb of Philadelphia). He had no idea where in Philadelphia the lady lived. So he was thinking maybe it was someone visiting someone in the neighborhood. He finally turned it over to the police. And because the wallet contained money, there were more forms to fill out. It just so happened a co-worker's wife worked at the Elementary school a few blocks away and she knew all about the purse. It was for a teacher in the school. The teacher had a bunch of stuff to put in her car. So she put her purse on the roof of her car and forgot it.

Then my husband found a wallet as he was entering a mall on a Friday night. He tried to find the owner from her drivers license but did not have any success. Then he found her Dad's phone #. It was his phone # at work. So my husband had to wait until Monday to call Phoenix, AR. Her Dad was not sure about my husband and his story about finding his daughter's wallet. So after numerous calls back and forth, finally my husband met up with the girl to return her wallet over a week later. She couldn't make it any sooner.  She was upset with my husband for telling her Dad. My husband tried to explain that he tried to contact her first. She went off in a huff and did not so much as thank my husband.

All that happened in about one year's time. Thankfully my husband hasn't found any money, wallets or handbags since. Which I think is good. To let the last experience fade from his memory. 

Honored Contributor

That's wonderful @gmkb  Not only was it a nice thing to do, they strangers who found the cards are cultivating good karma Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@gmkb

Thank you for sharing that endearing story!❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

The norm?  No such thing.  We don't hear about every act of honesty.  I think the OP was just happy and wanted to share.  Someone always needs to find a negative in a nice post.

@Equuleus Thank you.  I always enjoy your posts.  You always impress me as a wise & fair minded person

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

That's wonderful @gmkb  Not only was it a nice thing to do, they strangers who found the cards are cultivating good karma :

@Bird mama Yes, they went through some effort to make things right.  I told the woman who called that I thought God would surely bless her for her effort and honesty.

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

That was nice, but how did they manage to lose several gift cards all at the same time? Where did that person find them?

I had just given them to them this afternoon and they were all placed in a little  plastic lunch bag to be used for their vacation here this week.  They were found on the timeshare property where they are staying.

Welll, if the cards were found on the timeshare property, sounds like the people who found the cards were familiar with it so they could relate to what it would mean to the people who lost the cards.

Trusted Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

The norm?  No such thing.  We don't hear about every act of honesty.  I think the OP was just happy and wanted to share.  Someone always needs to find a negative in a nice post.

@Equuleus Thank you.  I always enjoy your posts.  You always impress me as a wise & fair minded person

@gmkb Gee thanks.  I've been called many things on the forums, but wise and fair minded wasn't one of them.  I am honored that you feel that way.  Heart

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's less common today for people to be honest.  The world isn't always a nice place no matter the generation.

Reading about acts of kindness is part of life just as sad news is part of life.

I don't look at this as having to be reminded; I just see it as sharing something nice.

Enjoy reading these stories.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazingly Honest People

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 @Equuleus @blackhole99 @Bird mama @lolakimono 

Found this post...

It is comforting to know that @gmkb ’s family was able to have the gift cards their mother got them for Christmas returned to them.💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I do not know why you think honesty is amazing. I could never keep something that did not belong to me. Never considered it amazing.