Super Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who just doesn't like todays styles in jewelry and fashion?

@151949 wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@HB glamma wrote:

I am 62. I don't wear leggings or jeggings and only yoga pants (not tight) at home.  I don't wear those huge necklaces or logo-ish tops, so I guess I'm with the OP and others here.  It is hard to find age-appropriate clothing that I like. I like classic basic things and find them at Talbots, used to be at Chicos but that is getting weirder too.

I too am shocked at how many older women dress.  I just don't think teenage clothing styles work on women over 30.

I have read many fashion critics say they cringe when they see California women because they dress inappropriately and emulate their teenage daughters.

Again, respectfully, there is a huge difference between dressing current and dressing like one's teenage daughter.  I completely agree that a "mature" women shouldn't dress like a teenager, but one can always look modern.  When I think of women my age, I look at Sandra Bullock, Julianne Moore and Jennifer Aniston.  Obviously, they are genetically blessed and I would never claim to look as good as they do, but I think in terms of fashion, they have achieved that wonderful balance of looking age appropriate but also current.  They look timeless, in my opinion, and that is what I try to emulate.

People like Sandra Bullock, Julianne Moore and Jennifer Aniston do not have a budget and have their clothes custom designed and made just for them. However, the rest of us do have to stay on a budget and buy off the rack. They are also approximately 20 years younger than I am, and have personal trainers on their staff who keep them in perfect shape. Personally, I have a much more realistic lifestyle.

I completely understand.  I shop mostly at Ann Taylor.  I doubt that any of the actresses I mentioned shop there.  I'm referring to the style, not the price point.  I do not shop where they do.  I do not spend thousands of dollars on an item of clothing.  But that doesn't mean I can't look at their outfits and pick out the features that I like.  Most retailers, from low to high end, adapt their styles to reflect what is current each season.  I firmly believe that you do not have to spend a fortune to look nice.  I also mentioned in an earlier post that I have found some great pieces at Marshalls and TJ Maxx.  Hardly high end retailers.  And, by the way, I personally believe that size has little meaning when it comes to style  I've known many skinny women who have no fashion sense and many larger ladies who always look fabulous.  In my opinon, the secret is in spending the time to study what looks good and then adapting it to one's budget and availability.

Valued Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who just doesn't like todays styles in jewelry and fashion?

What I DO like is that women have more options available; it seems to me that we're not "locked in" to a few particular trends. Pants - skinny legged, bootcut, wide - all available! Tops - fitted, flowing - all good! Even though a few people have taken the term "fashion" too loosely (wearing slippers and flannel pj bottoms in public), overall I'm glad we can have some choices. As a person who has trouble finding pants the correct length, I have an easier time wearing them, wherever they hit. A bit too long? Put on heels! Too short? They're ankle pants! Reaaaallly too short? They're capris!

Respected Contributor

I am 65 but still like to look like my age but still care about style.   I rather like the long tops and skinny leg pants.  I don't want them too look like sausauge casings but I never was a fan of bell bottoms.  I like the long tunic tops covering the rear.  I like straight leg pants and flats.  They say all the time that wider leg pants balance you, however I have never thought that to be true.  I worked at lane bryant and the more material you have the bigger you look unless you are slim.  I guess you just have to find what looks best on you and then work it around what is in fashion.

Honored Contributor

No, you are not the only one. I am 50+, and I am not a fan of current styles.

My biggest complaint is all the tunic length, loose, oversized, flowy tops with weird hemlines.  I dislike asymmetry and shark bite hems.  I don't like the cascading cardigans either.  I have tried things on like this thinking I am missing something, but they are not flattering to my body and not my style. Another issue is all the athleisure wear out there.  How many of these items can you have? 

I am having more difficulty finding things I want to try on, much less buy. The classic items are out there, but just not as many.  I work and need professional looking clothes.  I take good care of the classics I already own so I can continue wearing them, but it is nice to get a few things each season.

Respected Contributor

Lands End and LL Bean sell button down Oxford shirts, classic straight leg trousers, crew neck twinsets, etc.

If you are looking for more classic, conservative styles, you could try there.

Also, Talbot's has nice clothing, with a lot of traditional styling.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Has anyone noticed that many of the hosts on QVC are pear shaped?  I used to be an hourglass figure.  Now that my waist is filling in I can't tell whether I am an apple or a rectangle!!!!!!!!!!   It seems to me most of the clothes are made for pear shapes on QVC.  Of course, I haven't tried all the vendors.  

No I really haven't.  I'm a pear shape and the only host I would say is definitely a pear would be Jane Treacy.  Maybe Antonella would fall in this category but I don't really see her enough.  I can't think if any other host who is a pear shape.

Esteemed Contributor

Newsflash!  There is a great big world out there from which to purchase clothing.  QVC is NOT the only retailer!  Of course you will pay more for a tailored button down shirt than a logo-ish type top, but it costs more to manufacture, so no complaints.  Several good suggestions have been made, i.e., Brooks Brothers, Talbots, etc. 

I can't help but feel this OP is yet another thinly-veiled attempt to put down those of us who might wear leggings and tunics and maybe even look good in them.  There seems to be a common denominator here and I will just leave it at that. 

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Newsflash!  There is a great big world out there from which to purchase clothing.  QVC is NOT the only retailer!  Of course you will pay more for a tailored button down shirt than a logo-ish type top, but it costs more to manufacture, so no complaints.  Several good suggestions have been made, i.e., Brooks Brothers, Talbots, etc. 

I can't help but feel this OP is yet another thinly-veiled attempt to put down those of us who might wear leggings and tunics and maybe even look good in them.  There seems to be a common denominator here and I will just leave it at that. 

This was my thought too.  And I'm wondering why this is in Community Chat rather than the fashion forum.  Except that I think this "complaint" has worn thin in the proper forum. 

Respected Contributor

frankly I liked the style in the seventy's, and the long hair with a center part looks nice if you have healthy pretty hair....

Honored Contributor

magic moods is clearly just doing anything to start a fight. Ignore it and it will go away. Don't play into it.