Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:
"From what I saw those "innocents" came from both sides of the discussion. Those who voiced their disagreement and those who couldn't stand to not reply back. As is most always the case in these situations, neither side is truly without any blame."

The original celebratory thread *begged* posters, throughout, to simply express their feelings in ways that would NOT get the thread poofed. 95% of the posters enjoying the happiness in the thread adhered to that. Perhaps 5% did not. So yes, one can say there was blame on both sides, but some was due to anger at others deliberately trying to have a thread that *was staying within the rules* deleted if they could manage it. I'm not saying everyone who posted in either thread was trying for trouble, certainly not. But it was the troublemakers who prevailed, hence the deletion.

so that's what happened to my original tunisia (deleted) thread. the mod even checked in and said it was perfectly fine to discuss it as long as we didn't bring religion or politics into it,.the mod checked in because some had alerted on the topic, which was included in her message.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

but it is false equivalency to say that both sides were equally at fault.  People were trying to explain and show what the mods had instructed us to do, and it was ignored.

That is why folks got frustrated and said to start a new thread if they wished to ignore the moderator's instructions on that thread.

I mostly agree Biancardi. If everyone would have complied with the thread being only congratulatory, the thread would probably still stand. But that didn't happen, and posters began to argue back and forth, which is why it was shut down.

Yes, you (generic you, not you you) can only pick a scab so often before it starts bleeding.   Even those who wanted that thread to stay up were at the end of the rope with the constant misinformation being written.   I found myself just walking away from the thread, because I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall. No matter how many times the moderator's instructions and rules were reposted on that thread, it was ignored.

There was a deliberate attempt to bring it down.  imho.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

but it is false equivalency to say that both sides were equally at fault.  People were trying to explain and show what the mods had instructed us to do, and it was ignored.

That is why folks got frustrated and said to start a new thread if they wished to ignore the moderator's instructions on that thread.

I mostly agree Biancardi. If everyone would have complied with the thread being only congratulatory, the thread would probably still stand. But that didn't happen, and posters began to argue back and forth, which is why it was shut down.

Yes, you (generic you, not you you) can only pick a scab so often before it starts bleeding.   Even those who wanted that thread to stay up were at the end of the rope with the constant misinformation being written.   I found myself just walking away from the thread, because I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall. No matter how many times the moderator's instructions and rules were reposted on that thread, it was ignored.

There was a deliberate attempt to bring it down.  imho.

That could be true. I didn't make a post, I only read the thread. I didn't feel like entering the fray and I knew it probably wouldn't last anyway.

From my observation, there were some long time posters that didn't understand the idea of a "celebration only" thread. It seemed they wanted to discuss, or debate, because that's what they're used to doing here. But as the very thread itself demonstrated,"times they are a-changin!" Man Happy

Honored Contributor
evelomaddict,

That's what many of us have been saying, in this thread and elsewhere - that it's a shame that OPs and threads start and are maintained within standards, and there are posters who will deliberately post a series of deletable posts JUST to get a thread deleted, JUST because they can. It is no black mark on the part of the thread-starter as far as the moderators are concerned, I'm sure. Intent is pretty obvious, and it's apparent who is genuinely intending a peaceful thread and who is being faux about starting a thread they clearly have to know will go south.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

But for the mods to allow the thread... how can it not be political or religiously geared if that's one 's belief?

I understand it was a celebration thread, but to allow it to stand without every opinion being valued, it seemed more like baiting, than the usual interesting views here we have all come to expect.

Those days are over, I suppose.

JMO

Super Contributor

I like this Board for the good info it provides on products.  It also gives support to those in need.  A current event is noted and people offer viewpoints.  I don't live for the Board, it's just an enjoyable pastime when I'm bored.

I don't mind moderators because when people are anonymouse things can get out of hand. Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I in a time warp???

[ Edited ]

@NUNYA wrote:

But for the mods to allow the thread... how can it not be political or religiously geared if that's one 's belief?

I understand it was a celebration thread, but to allow it to stand without every opinion being valued, it seemed more like baiting, than the usual interesting views here we have all come to expect.

JMO

IMO, it is very easy to take politics and religion out of this issue.  The Declaration of Independence says "all men are created equal."  Simple as that.  All individuals have a right to live their lives as they choose as long as they are not hurting anyone else. 

Again, two consenting adults living their lives as they choose is none of my business.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

JMO

Nunya,

I think you are still missing the point. The mods instructed that thread be only celebratory. Their house. Their rules. Another thread for opposing viewpoints was started and stood for a while. People were free to give their opinions on that one and it stayed until it got rancorous. The point is, the opposing view thread WAS ALLOWED.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

JMO

IMO, it is very easy to take politics and religion out of this issue.  The Constitution says "all men are created equal."  Simple as that.  All individuals have a right to live their lives as they choose as long as they are not hurting anyone else. 

Again, two consenting adults living their lives as they choose is none of my business.

That was not my isssue as I already stated. 

I have gay friends, and friends with gay children, I agree with the ruling.

Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

JMO

It is not a right/left issue - it's a civil rights issue.

The lead lawyers came from both the right and the left.

You cannot determine who you will be attracted to...and it doesn't compel you to vote one way or another either...the Log Cabin group is one example. You don't have to marry in a church for it to be legal either - it shouldn't be a religious issue - nothing has changed and no one is compelled to change their beliefs.

Friday's announcement was LIFE CHANGING for millions of Americans.

We all had a chance to share...even the people on the other side (as long as they didn't bring religion of politics into it).

Now it's old news...and that thread is gone too.