Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

But for the mods to allow the thread... how can it not be political or religiously geared if that's one 's belief?

I understand it was a celebration thread, but to allow it to stand without every opinion being valued, it seemed more like baiting, than the usual interesting views here we have all come to expect.

Those days are over, I suppose.

JMO

Nunya,

I think you are still missing the point. The mods instructed that thread be only celebratory. Their house. Their rules. Another thread for opposing viewpoints was started and stood for a while. People were free to give their opinions on that one and it stayed until it got rancorous. The point is, the opposing view thread WAS ALLOWED.

Perhaps I am. I just think every opinion makes this place interesting. That's all.

Honored Contributor
nunya wrote: "But for the mods to allow the thread... how can it not be political or religiously geared if that's one 's belief?

I understand it was a celebration thread, but to allow it to stand without every opinion being valued, it seemed more like baiting, than the usual interesting views here we have all come to expect."

I don't understand your reasoning. There were and are people celebrating for whom neither politics nor religion had anything to do with their happiness. They said nothing about either politics or religion in the thread. QVC has *expressly forbidden* politics or religion in *any* thread - so then, NO (dissenting or other), opinions *of any subject* can include either politics or religion. Not difficult. Disagree, but *whatever* your belief, you cannot post about religion or politics in any thread anywhere on the forum.

Is every opinion valued on anything anywhere? Why should "every" opinion on a topic be valued? Should h8 speech be valued? Political or religious extremeism?
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

But for the mods to allow the thread... how can it not be political or religiously geared if that's one 's belief?

I understand it was a celebration thread, but to allow it to stand without every opinion being valued, it seemed more like baiting, than the usual interesting views here we have all come to expect.

JMO

Nunya,

I think you are still missing the point. The mods instructed that thread be only celebratory. Their house. Their rules. Another thread for opposing viewpoints was started and stood for a while. People were free to give their opinions on that one and it stayed until it got rancorous. The point is, the opposing view thread WAS ALLOWED.

Perhaps I am. I just think every opinion makes this place interesting. That's all.

On that, we agree!     Woman Happy

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

Re: Am I in a time warp???

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

JMO

It is not a right/left issue - it's a civil rights issue.

The lead lawyers came from both the right and the left.

You cannot determine who you will be attracted to...and it doesn't compel you to vote one way or another either...the Log Cabin group is one example. You don't have to marry in a church for it to be legal either - it shouldn't be a religious issue - nothing has changed and no one is compelled to change their beliefs.

Friday's announcement was LIFE CHANGING for millions of Americans.

We all had a chance to share...even the people on the other side (as long as they didn't bring religion of politics into it).

Now it's old news...and that thread is gone too.

Terrier, I already said I agree with the ruling. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I in a time warp???

[ Edited ]

@NUNYA wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

JMO

It is not a right/left issue - it's a civil rights issue.

The lead lawyers came from both the right and the left.

You cannot determine who you will be attracted to...and it doesn't compel you to vote one way or another either...the Log Cabin group is one example. You don't have to marry in a church for it to be legal either - it shouldn't be a religious issue - nothing has changed and no one is compelled to change their beliefs.

Friday's announcement was LIFE CHANGING for millions of Americans.

We all had a chance to share...even the people on the other side (as long as they didn't bring religion of politics into it).

Now it's old news...and that thread is gone too.

Terrier, I already said I agree with the ruling. 

Every opinion WAS allowed to stand. Only the mean spirited, baiting posts were removed. The ones that insisted, time & again, to include references to religion and the 2016 elections. The OPs were warned, yet continued.

Opposing views were allowed to remain on the post - as long as they followed forum rules.

It's rewriting history to keep saying that all opposing views were shut down.

Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:
"From what I saw those "innocents" came from both sides of the discussion. Those who voiced their disagreement and those who couldn't stand to not reply back. As is most always the case in these situations, neither side is truly without any blame."

The original celebratory thread *begged* posters, throughout, to simply express their feelings in ways that would NOT get the thread poofed. 95% of the posters enjoying the happiness in the thread adhered to that. Perhaps 5% did not. So yes, one can say there was blame on both sides, but some was due to anger at others deliberately trying to have a thread that *was staying within the rules* deleted if they could manage it. I'm not saying everyone who posted in either thread was trying for trouble, certainly not. But it was the troublemakers who prevailed, hence the deletion.

Moonchilde, you and others have tried your best to make people understand what happened on those particular threads, but apparently they just refuse to "get it" and/or let it go... which just reinforces some of the comments I made in my original post.  Thanks for the efforts several of you have made to try and keep this thread from getting derailed too.

It seems to be a comprehension problem.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

At the very great risk of having my head handed to me on a platter, and risking people telling me to stop telling them what to do or stop trying to be a moderator, could I respectfully request that maybe some of the other issues I brought up in my original post be discussed?  There are a lot of things going on on the boards that are causing problems, and I was truly hoping that we could talk about those and that the discussion of that one topic could be suspended...  It's over, but it seems to be the only thing being discussed. 

My sincere apologies to anyone who feels offended by my comment.  Sad emoticon

Honored Contributor
JaneMarple, I think people comprehend, for the most part, just fine. It's the fully informed (from many sources, official and otherwise) decisions they make upon comprehension that are telling. Choices are being made. Lines are being drawn in the sand. And not out of misunderstanding, confusion or ignorance.
Honored Contributor
Well, you know I agree with the other points in your post, kittymom, and have posted about them in other threads ;-)

Vigilance as far as deliberate repeated, clearly malicious flaunting of the Rules/Standards is the forum's main defense - by the moderators and by posters who experience it.
Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

At the very great risk of having my head handed to me on a platter, and risking people telling me to stop telling them what to do or stop trying to be a moderator, could I respectfully request that maybe some of the other issues I brought up in my original post be discussed?  There are a lot of things going on on the boards that are causing problems, and I was truly hoping that we could talk about those and that the discussion of that one topic could be suspended...  It's over, but it seems to be the only thing being discussed. 

My sincere apologies to anyone who feels offended by my comment.  Sad emoticon

Those other issues are all part of the same thing, IMO - no matter WHAT the topic. You are right - it could be about puppies & rainbows.

It's a small, yet vocal group, who time and again make everything PERSONAL. They are personally offended by someone or something, so they respond personally - insulting and dredging up stuff - and also ASSUMING things about posters that aren't true.

I posted a Dilbert thread from a recent Sunday. He met the famous "troll" - who would always take a comment and extrapolate it to the extreme....and then rip someone to shreds over absurd opinions.

I honestly think the moderators are weeding out those types of personal comments and hopefully they will soon be few and far between.

If people think they are being censored...they need to carefully think through what they are posting and why.