Trusted Contributor

I just want to be sure that I am doing the right thing.  In a nutshell I have a sister who is a hoarder, I will spare you with the details.  I love here and encourage her to keep purging, baby steps, a little or a lot, daily, weekly, monthly.  I have seen her feel very accomplished and happy when she does purge.  Here's the issue.....most of her hoard is clothing and she really really really insists to give me bags and bags of brand new and used clothes.  Now I accept and thank her because all I want for her is to keep purging and find happiness.  I have been donating all of the clothes to the needy who could use it.  To me, clothing is a very personal choice and I want to wear my own choices.  I did not tell her I am donating as I don't want her to stop purging, but most of the stuff does not fit me.  What do you guys think?  I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Valued Contributor

Re: Am I doing the right thing?

Since it's so difficult for hoarders to part with the items they hoard, it probably feels better to your sister to give them to someone she knows/trusts who will appreciate them.  Maybe you could ask her what she would like to do with the items that do not fit you?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@northiie57 wrote:

I just want to be sure that I am doing the right thing.  In a nutshell I have a sister who is a hoarder, I will spare you with the details.  I love here and encourage her to keep purging, baby steps, a little or a lot, daily, weekly, monthly.  I have seen her feel very accomplished and happy when she does purge.  Here's the issue.....most of her hoard is clothing and she really really really insists to give me bags and bags of brand new and used clothes.  Now I accept and thank her because all I want for her is to keep purging and find happiness.  I have been donating all of the clothes to the needy who could use it.  To me, clothing is a very personal choice and I want to wear my own choices.  I did not tell her I am donating as I don't want her to stop purging, but most of the stuff does not fit me.  What do you guys think?  I hope I'm doing the right thing.

@northiie57 @You are doing the right thing and you are helping your sister purge. You don't have to tell her what you do with the stuff. When she gives it away to you that's all that matters. Her step is getting rid of it. You don't want to put any barriers in the way of her purging. She has a problem with letting go, so keep letting her let go.

Updated

@northiie57 Just in case, if you want to, you can keep a couple of doubled garbage bags of the clothes in your garage and if there ever becomes a time when it is better to show you have them, for any unforeseen reason, you can get some out.

Honored Contributor

@Glittergal wrote:

Since it's so difficult for hoarders to part with the items they hoard, it probably feels better to your sister to give them to someone she knows/trusts who will appreciate them.  Maybe you could ask her what she would like to do with the items that do not fit you?

I agree.

As long as you tell her that many items don't fit you and you will be donating them (preferably to people in need), I don't see that's wrong.  However, if she feels she's giving item to you for your own personal use and then finds out later you gave them away, I could see a huge problem.

It's a very emotional situation. 

Trusted Contributor

@northiie57  If she's a hoarder she may be expecting you to hang onto the clothes......that may be her way of purging without really purging...

Trusted Contributor

Thank you!  I just could not figure out the right way to say it to her.  I think she would be fine with the donations.

Respected Contributor

@northiie57  Your concern and sensitivity for your sister is commendable.  If / when you discuss the possibility of her donating the items, you might want to suggest that, depending on the condition and quality of the clothing, it might also be tax deductible.  That is a double win--someone benefits in receiving needed clothes and she could recoup a little of her money. 

Blessings to both of you! 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

As long as she does not find out.  Does she see you often?  If she ever finds out you can tell her the clothes did not fit.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The objective is to clear out her hoard. Take care not to say anything that may scuttle the process.

Don't bring up donating rather than giving them to you, instead allow her to see you wearing something she's given you. It will both please and encourage her to continue.

Be careful not to donate to any place she may go and see the clothing you have discarded.

Esteemed Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

Thank you!  I just could not figure out the right way to say it to her.  I think she would be fine with the donations.

tell her you're donating to a women's shelter....which is a great idea....maybe she'll feel better about that....