Super Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's - Let's Discuss

Poor American diets lead to inflammation in the body...leading to many diseases ...including Alzheimer's disease. Unless America stops eating junk, Alzheimer's is going to continue to spiral out of control. Of course some people have a genetic component which makes it even more important to watch your diet and lifestyle .
Regular Contributor

I had intended to tell you in my first post that I understand what you're going through and my heart goes out to you.

I agree that there is no money in prevention.

I hope you can get some help or some respite for yourself. Very sorry you are having to deal with this. It is terrible.

Super Contributor

I cared for my mom but thank God, she didn't have Alzheimer's. My mother-in-law did. It's a heartbreaking disease. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Respected Contributor

Hi Sassenach.....I empathize with you. I wish I had an answer.

I have noticed some changes in my mom over the past year, and more so since this past September.

She seems to become very confused with her finances and decisions about her home, and has been asking for my help more frequently. She KNOWS she is going thru this which makes it that much sadder for me to witness.

She's in pretty good shape with other aspects in her life, but her confusion and her feeling "overwhelmed" about certain things has me very concerned. She still has a quick wit and a good sense of humor.

My sister is coming up from VA this week and we have an appointment with a Neurologist on Wednesday. My mom doesn't know it yet and I hope she agrees to go. She can be very strong willed about things like this.

I hope things don't get too bad for you......please know that I care. :-)

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Valued Contributor

Blue Collar Babe - you are right that AD can't be diagnosed except through autopsy. One doc calls it AD, another Parkinson's Dementia with Alzheimer's. It's all awful.

I don't think my mom's is genetic - I sure hope not, for me and my children's sake. I believe hers is related to circulatory issues and Rx drugs- for decades. JMHO.

Valued Contributor

57 babe -

I believe that my mother's AD is due to the massive amounts of Rx drugs she has taken for years as well as circulatory/vascular issues - probable mini-strokes. Her doc thinks so, too. Thank you for your kind words and prayers. It is a rough road.

I regret any Benadryl I ever gave my kids! And, there was a period of time I took it for sleep every night. UGHH!!

And, yes, there is no money in prevention. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Thank you for your kind words.

Valued Contributor

gazelle - you are right about the American diet. In my mother's case, she has rarely eaten well. Not for financial reasons. She LOVES sugar and would often skip the meal and go for the dessert. She has always been a sugar addict.

Valued Contributor

ilovedaisies - I am sorry about your family. Thank you for your kind words.

Valued Contributor

Lotus - (((hugs))) to you. It is good that you are taking your mom to a neurologist. Financial issues were one of the first things that stood out for my mother. I hope that the neurologist will be able to provide assistance to you and your mom.

I encourage you to have your mother get her financial and legal affairs in order. Power of Attorney - make sure it is both for financial and health care. It must be very specific - even defining such things as "pensions, social security," etc. Wills, Healthcare Advance Directives, etc. Have several notarized copies available for each document. Scan one into your computer so that you can provide it quickly when needed.

I hope that your mom will be fine and that you do not have to go down this endless, dark road.

Super Contributor

My sister-in-law has Alzheimers, her husband finally had to place her in a nursing home. Does your Mother recognize you? It will probably reach the point where she does not know you or anyone else in her life. It is very frightening for them, when they do not recognize you they are fearful that someone is in their home and will hurt them. I urge you to put away any knives or weapons. That probably seems extreme, but believe me it is not. Her Mother also had Alzheimers, but it was before we realized what Alzheimers was. She ran away several times and also tried to attack her husband. I do not know if all patients are like this, but it happened in both members of my Husband's family. Many things they say leads to Alzheimers, poor diet, no excercise, keeping active, etc. In my Sister in laws case, she always ate very healthy foods, took long walks all the time, had many friends, knit beautiful afghans. One thing she likes is holding a doll or something very soft such as a lightweight small blanket. It is a terrible disease and so hard for not only the person but the caretaker and everyone in their family.

Please arrange for some help so you can have some time away from your home - even to just go shopping for a few hours.