Honored Contributor

Re: All Network Channels, Why?

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Fell out of my chair when I discovered this:

'Mean Girls' is on Oxygen right now...just started.  

Really.  No joking.  😀

Oxygen is owned by Comcast/Universal. They already own MSNBC...no reason to run the same info on all stations, giving these people  publicity.

Huh?  

'Whish'....that was a joke flying over. 

Honored Contributor

Caring? I see nothing caring about watching others living a nightmare, being treated for their injuries, and hoping to see the perpetrators shot all while lounging in front of one's TV, safe at home.

Super Contributor

Because fellow human beings were mowed down by gunfire.

While you wanted to watch your program, some family member will never see their loved ones again.

They showed it because it' matters and needs to be seen.

This is the problem, people are getting so immune to all this that reporting on it is merely an interruption.

This is terrorism... domestic or whatever.    It's important, it affects all our lives!

Honored Contributor

@Apple Head wrote:

Because fellow human beings were mowed down by gunfire.

While you wanted to watch your program, some family member will never see their loved ones again.

They showed it because it' matters and needs to be seen.

This is the problem, people are getting so immune to all this that reporting on it is merely an interruption.

This is terrorism...domestic or whatever.  It's important, it affects all our lives!

EXTREMELY good point!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm sure there are those who want to watch the California event, the armored vehicles,  people running,  along with close ups of the SUV etc. However, isn't that what news channels are for, the voyeurs?

Enough, I wanted to see Jeopardy not a bunch of men searching a neighborhood, not inane interviews with overpaid speculators.

Seriously?  You need to watch Jeopardy so badly?  This is no different than past events, like when the police were searching for the surviving Boston Marathon bomber. I would expect most stations to make it a priority. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think anyone is saying (I know I'm not) that they aren't interested, I'm speaking for myself but I can't understand why every major channel (non-cable) has to put the same thing on at the same time.

I don't see that as meaning someone doesn't care about the news and people involved, I see it as wondering WHY it needs to be on every single channel.  

I thought the question was very well stated.  It simply doesn't make sense the way it is on every channel.  It isn't going to change as one channel wants to outdo the other.

The stupid thing is that they are showing the same thing.   It's not like one is providing additional news.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Caring? I see nothing caring about watching others living a nightmare, being treated for their injuries, and hoping to see the perpetrators shot all while lounging in front of one's TV, safe at home.

You can't assume others share your hopes and thoughts.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The coverage of this horrific story is necessary, but I do think hours and hours of coverage are feeding into violent people's sense of their power. I think they encourage future outbreaks.

I don't watch TV that often and don't get my news from it, but understand that people need to be informed.  It makes me uncomfortable if there is continuous coverage and no new updates for a while.  That highlights the perpetrators and does not help the families of the victims.

I saw this at my gym and was heartsick.  An hour later, the same footage was still on TV.  To me, wait til there is new info, otherwise you're telling other homicidal crazy folks how much potential power they have.

The 24 hour news cycle will play up any story for a day, then they drop it like a hot potato.  There just is something wrong with the way these things are covered.  Of course, though, it's true:  people have to know.

Once they know and there is no more to be said, I do wish they would stop with the replays, which glamorize the crimes in the minds of the perpetrators.  That's just my gut feeling.  Free publicity.

Honored Contributor

Every station wants to report this story because it IS the major story of the day, and they know their regular viewers expect them to be covering it.

Do some of you expect them to say " hmmm...station xyz is covering this...so I guess we don't have to" ?

Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

Please keep in mind that not everyone is sitting in front of the TV all day.

Those of us who work are just getting home and this is the first chance we have of seeing the news.

That's good to hear. After reading some of the threads around here lately it seems many people watch QVC 24/7. So many are upset that the gift giving ideas will actually need to be contemplated on their own and not spoon fed to them, while others are upset the QVC commercial isn't keeping them perpetually entertained. It's nice to see some that aren't in front of the TV all day (especially without a remote).