Honored Contributor

Wonderful stories about the man at the memorial.  

Thanks for posting your story, @pitdakota.  

Trusted Contributor

Perhaps @SeaMaiden could look at the comments made about the newly departed as informal eulogies given by people who did not attend any service but did want to express themselves.  Why it would annoy someone and make them sad is a puzzlement.

Respected Contributor

@pitdakota

thank you so much for your sharing of the day.  it brought tears to my eyes.  i wasn't home and not able to watch and i dearly loved ali.

he is someone that i will not soon forget. 

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

Perhaps @SeaMaiden could look at the comments made about the newly departed as informal eulogies given by people who did not attend any service but did want to express themselves.  Why it would annoy someone and make them sad is a puzzlement.

It was  just an observation in human nature.  I find it sad that these wonderful things about these people are not said so they can be heard before they pass... It seems that when they are in their final years In poor health... or years where their fame has faded some....no one mentions them.  Perhaps this is when we need to bring up the wonderful aspects of what they have achieved BEFORE they die either a timely or untimely death.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Ali...As with David Bowie and Prince...I find it interesting that no one spoke about them At all prior to their demise. No one spoke  about them here on the chat boards before they died...they were not ever on the news for years.    Almost forgotten. Then they pass and everybody speaks so highly of them...Yet.....not a nice comment prior to their death.  

Seems such a shame that people have to die in order to be praised and talked about. I find that very sad.

Hi @SeaMaiden

@SeaMaiden, I can't speak about the this board...but that would certainly not be true in this area at all.  Ali or the Ali center was regularly on our news over the years.   People around here went to school with Ali, knew him as a little boy, etc.  He visited all kinds of elementary school classes here over the years.  There are stories galore here and all of his humaitarian efforts were covered in our news extensively.  The Ali Center has given scholarships, sponsored worldwide efforts, with a signficant part of its mission to serve children.  That is why so many of us know that Ali was much more than just a boxer. 

No, not everyone is an Ali fan....but many are.  So hopefully those that do might enjoy to some extent about the funeral procession this morning.  But, make no mistake......Louisville loves Ali and they demonstrated that today.  Heart

Edited, because I have no idea why it posted 3 times Cat Surprised

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I have a great memory of Muhammad Ali...1973, (Chicago) on my lunch hour walking to the bank, coming towards me were three people, Mr. Ali, his wife and body guard...Ali was dressed in a cream color coat with slacks and shoes to match, his wife had on a chinchilla maxi coat, body guard in black...Ali was carrying a briefcase with a visible chain handcuffed to his wrist.  I was awestruck as they passed by and Ali gave me a nod and half smile...I thought wow, I just saw Muhammad Ali and what a handsome man, and what a great lunch hour, seeing Ali and cashing paycheck!  Doubleheader!!

What a great memory @AKgirl2 !!!

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Wonderful stories about the man at the memorial.  

Thanks for posting your story, @pitdakota.  

Hi @tansy!  I thought Lonnie was very composed and eloquent.  She did a great job speaking today.

Respected Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I have a great memory of Muhammad Ali...1973, (Chicago) on my lunch hour walking to the bank, coming towards me were three people, Mr. Ali, his wife and body guard...Ali was dressed in a cream color coat with slacks and shoes to match, his wife had on a chinchilla maxi coat, body guard in black...Ali was carrying a briefcase with a visible chain handcuffed to his wrist.  I was awestruck as they passed by and Ali gave me a nod and half smile...I thought wow, I just saw Muhammad Ali and what a handsome man, and what a great lunch hour, seeing Ali and cashing paycheck!  Doubleheader!!

What a great memory @AKgirl2 !!!

Thank you, it is...I've seen so many celebrities through the years in the town I lived in, "lots" of fun memories for sure!

Respected Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@pitdakota

thank you so much for your sharing of the day.  it brought tears to my eyes.  i wasn't home and not able to watch and i dearly loved ali.

he is someone that i will not soon forget. 

@ladyroxanne    you are more than welcome!  It was really something special and I am so glad we went.  It was something that I think would have touched Ali himself!!

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.